1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Rattle

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by ct30, May 18, 2016.

1. ct30

ct30 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi all
    Just wondered if anybody else had experienced this on their little Copens. I seem to have strange rattling metal sound when I go around roundabouts that are on a slight incline. Seems like it's coming from underneath the car, but I could be wrong. Anyone else had anything like this or maybe point me in the right direction of what it could be?

Many thanks
    Charlotte

2. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    not had it on Copen but on other cars. possibly related to wheel bearing . I assume it is only on 1 side, i.e. happens if going round right hand bend but not left (or left but not right)

3. Steamer775

Steamer775 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Let's eliminate the easy one first. If there's just you in the car then the passenger seatbelt buckle rattles against the door: hook it up behind the belt guide on the seat.
    It sounds like in your case that isn't the problem but I went through all sorts of worrying theories before I tracked that one down.

electrosaur likes this.
  4. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    I had a rattle, more of a grinding noise when going around a RH bend. It was from underneath the car near the front from what I could hear. A bit worrying, so I went to my trusted garage...
    The cause was the front passenger side disc brake protector had got slightly bent and was catching on the edge of the disc when the wheel was turned by the steering. This protector is a thin flat piece of metal (that I guess it to help protect the calliper from small stones and such getting caught) but it can easily get bent - and can easily be bent back slightly if it is catching.
    i.e. Fixed in a few seconds :)

5. electrosaur

electrosaur Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    My Copen is making a grinding (rubber-plastic) sound while hard-cornering, because of the larger tires: 175/55R15.

6. ct30

ct30 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi all

Thank you all for your replies, I listened out for it when driving to work yesterday and it didn't seem as loud as the day before (odd) not that it is incredibly loud anyway! It is also only heard when I steer to the right. Will have to take the little one to the garage. Thanks all :)

7. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I get this even with standard tyres!

8. electrosaur

electrosaur Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    And that's a shame, because this car loves to be cornered hard ;)

shane likes this.