Storing off Road

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by MartinG, May 11, 2012.

1. MartinG

MartinG Copenworld Newbie

Does anyone have experience of storing a Copen off road for a few months. Probably no more than 8 months.
    It is in perfect condition, 08 plate.
    It will be kept in a dry garage and I was wondering if there are any does or don'ts that anyone would suggest.
    Once I want to use it again would there be any issues to resolve before I tried starting it and running it again.

Many thanks in advance.
    M

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen
    2017 Volvo S60 BSR
    A dry heated garage is just what i have. I just disconnect the battery.
    No problems for 5 years.
    I´m lazy :D

3. mgrays

mgrays Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen for other half
    .. and half dozen others
    Clean the car underneath and on top as much as possible. Nice to have a car cover to keep dust off..

Ideally get a battery conditioner/charger if you have mains in the garage. Sometimes turn up at Aldi for £14 or so but can be £60-70;

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=x_LRT8aLGIjT0QWUjKyNBA&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAU

Put that on your battery (you have to set it to 12V on the Aldi one which confused me..) and it will keep the battery in perfect condition for years.. I do mean years as I have been storing a car for 8 years and driving it sometimes 20 mths between storage. Alternatively just remove battery terminal but battery will only store this way for 3-4 mths.

Ideally a dehumidifier and a pretty air tight/mouse proof and insulated shed but if only for a few months then at least dry. Brake discs at the front will rust up if damp but a couple of stops from 60-20 mph will clean them up.

I normally spray over with WD40 under the bonnet on any "dry" looking bits but some folk say it goes for electrical wiring but I ignore that. Note exhaust will not like that spray! (fire risk and lots of smoke).

Some folk will say you should over pressurises your tyres by 4-5 psi or even put car up on axle stands but I never do.