Sticky Seat Belt Tip

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, May 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi guys,
    Like us, our Copens are getting older.
    My problem was that my seat belt would not retract properly anymore- I had to hand feed the bugger every time I got out. Very annoying.
    When I picked my car up from its service yesterday I asked if they knew anyone who could help with this. They said "It's illegal here in the ACT (Aust) to repair seatbelts, they have to be bought new & installed". Damn, I thought, that's going to be expensive.
    However one mechanic said "It may just be dirt. Try pulling it all the way out then spraying something slippery on it, like Armorall".
    I went home and saw my "Tyre Shine" spray can - that's pretty slippery I thought. I pulled it out, liberally sprayed Tyre Shine all over the belt as it went in.
    Voila! Now it retracts happily & the repair only cost me a few cents.
    I hope this tip is useful to someone. Regards, Brian

Tony, Andrew Buesnel and copenworld like this.
  2. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003

thats the right way..:)

3. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Next video in the series - "How to mop a floor" :)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I'm not sure you should have used tyre shine as you don't know what effect it may have on the fabric or integrity of the belt it's really only designed for rubber. Armorall like the mechanic said would be a safer bet but I like Welz's plan better

5. Brian S

Car(s):
    Fair enough, but I think the chances of tyreshine degrading the quality of the belt fabric is almost nil, especially as it is just a superficial covering. Nonetheless, Armorall is a similar alternative if you're worried about that.
    I've also used tyreshine, because it looks better, on a bunch of exposed plastics & haven't found any issues at all there. PS Ithink welz's comment was in jest. Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    PS Ithink welz's comment was in jest. Cheers! no:eek:

:think:

Bleary likes this.
  7. Brian S

Car(s):
    Yep, except my method only takes around 1 minute. I really thought the guy showing us how to wash a seat belt was a joke, sorry welz.

8. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    you take tyreshine every month like a deo spray? How often do you change the shirt after use..:think:

9. John Beale

John Beale Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you! I was wondering how to fix mine, the only annoyance I've found with this fun little go kart. So glad I bought it :)

Brian S likes this.
  10. John Beale

John Beale Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well I tried the tyre shine method - works perfectly. Seat belts retract like new. Thanks Brian.

Brian S likes this.
  11. Brian S

Car(s):
    No, I use & recommend Armorall for all my shirts...the shine lasts for ages :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. Brian S

Car(s):
    I'm glad it worked for you. Yep, the fun to drive factor of my Copen reminds me of my little '72 1348cc MG Midget! Except you had to live with a dodgy cloth roof, "brakes", but, on the plus side, you could use the little boot with the roof down...:)