1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Replacement, A walk-through

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Wullufdude, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Wullufdude

Wullufdude Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    SAAB 9000 2.0 turbo (my baby)

and

Mothers copen (pikachu)
    Hey people, Me and the father bought Pikachu a new stereo for her birthday, a nice Sony one that actually matches the dashboard and doesn't stick out half a mile!

Anyway seeing as there has been much confusion and questioning as to the actual procedure, I thought a step by step walk-through would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Step 1: remove the faceplate you have on your existing stereo, open the glove box, then reach up inside and pop the top left clip of the fascia panel out, it takes a bit of force, so be sturdy with it, while being careful not to bend it too far out.

[​IMG]

Step 2:

Run a flat object (preferably not a sharp one, I used a teaspoon handle because it had rounded edges) along the top of the panel from left to right until the top right clip pops free.

[​IMG]

Step 3:

Next slide your lever down one side of the panel at a time until the centre clip on each side pops free, these are relatively easy to get free.

[​IMG]

Step 4:

Staying on the sides of the panel, run your lever down each side to the bottom to pop the left and right bottom clips out, be patient, they will work their way out, at this point I stress DO NOT bend the panel downwards from the top, this will snap the two clips, keep working from the sides with the lever.

[​IMG]

Step 5:

Undo the four screws holding the stereo/clock/cubbyhole mount into the dashboard, Unplug the wire from the rear of the clock, and any wires connected into the back of the stereo, if you have trouble remembering where stuff goes, it can be helpful to use a bit of tape to label wires/connectors.

[​IMG]

Step 6:

Undo the two screws on the side of the stereo mounting, If you are planning to fit a twin DIN size stereo (I.E. a DVD player or such) then unscrew the cubbyhole and clock from the cage as well.

[​IMG]

Step 7:

Fit the new stereo into the mounting cage from the Copen. In the picture above you will notice I fitted another two screws to hold the stereo into the mounting, this isn't a necessity, but will hold your stereo steadier.

Step 8:

Connect the wiring into the new stereo and re-connect your clock, for the Sony stereo we didn't need a wiring adapter, it was a straight fit, this is a good thing to check before attempting a stereo change, any good store will tell you what you need. At this point it is a good idea to check the trim that fits on the front of your stereo, to see if you need to make any adjustments before you have screwed it all down.

Step 9: Turn on your ignition and try all the functions of the Stereo. This is worth doing because if you have a fault or a disconnected wire, you will find out, and therefore will not have to unclip and unscrew everything again. turn the ignition off halfway through a track, then turn it back on, check that your new stereo remembers where it left off.

[​IMG]

Step 10:

Screw the mounting back into the dash, tighten these firmly, but don't go all hulk on them, you don't want to strip the threads.

[​IMG]

Step 11:

Starting with the bottom two clips, working up, gently pop your fascia panel back in, the clips will locate themselves, you may need to be fairly firm with the top two clips.

Step 12:

The finished article, pop the surrounding trim onto the stereo, then the faceplate, turn on and have a play!

Step 13:

GO DRIVE IT, put your favourite track on, start her up, and go for a drive, preferably with the top down. N.B. this step is not mandatory, but is extremely advised, by me...

Well I hope this was helpful, if there are any questions please ask me :)

Wullufdude

RGrant likes this.
  2. Wullufdude

Car(s):

and

Mothers copen (pikachu)
    The finished article

Because I was limited to 10 pictures I thought I'd post this afterwards, the finished article:

[​IMG]

Looks snazzy huh?

Wullufude

3. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    That's excellent, thanks for posting it.

I particularly admire the strategic use of a teaspoon. ;)

I'm planning on putting a series of "How To" articles on the features page to build up a handy reference library all together in one place. Do you mind if I steal your guide to put on there? You'll be fully credited of course!

4. Wullufdude

Car(s):

and

Mothers copen (pikachu)
    No problem, it seemed like the best tool for the job ;)

Of course I don't mind, would be nice to see!

Wullufdude

5. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

Excellent stuff, thanks.

I've been contemplating this for a while, but I want to fit a double din unit which contains a CD changer. (Yes, I know I am difficult, buy I really hate using single CDs.) Only found two options so far, and one is silly expensive!

6. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    I know I'm biased, but I think that's a really nifty post - partly because I know what a good job he made of the stereo!

And extra points for the phrase, "don't go all hulk on them"...! :D

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I agree, a nice clear post Wullufdude.
    Is that an LED in the top left? Is it for an alarm?
    Rex.

8. copenworld

Car(s):
    Copen
    I was wondering that too. I haven't got one of those. Am I missing out? ;)

9. Wullufdude

Car(s):

and

Mothers copen (pikachu)
    It is indeed an alarm LED, I am to believe it is a "Sigma 2" if you stand too close to her for too long she beeps at you...

Actually in the picture above Step 5 you can see the wire trailing up to the dashboard where I had rested the panel.

I dont think your missing anything Rushmere, I think it was something the previous owner had added ;)

Wullufdude

10. Wullufdude

Car(s):

and

Mothers copen (pikachu)
    If you fit one, I would love to see some pictures of the finished job!

I quite like this one! http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2009/audio/source_unit/2din/WXZ468RMP/gb-en-product-pf_1172414886515.html

But yes, silly money!

11. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

Yup, one I was looking at. Can get it for £240. I do think it is a touch "obvious" though, which wouold mean upgrading the alarm. Also I am not sure I can fit speakers which would do it justice.

It currently resides on my wish list.

12. copenworld

Car(s):
    Copen
    For anyone wondering if any particular unit will fit the Copen, I've added the size of the supplied unit to Wullufdude's guide published on the features page.

It's difficult to tell whether a deeper unit would fit without sticking out from the dash. My supplied unit is 167mm deep (including the fascia) - if anyone has successfully fitted a deeper unit, I'd be grateful if you could let me know so I can update the guide accordingly.