1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering wheels

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by chris1d, Feb 28, 2015.

1. chris1d

chris1d Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Has anyone swapped the steering wheel for a smaller one? I've got the momo one which is lovely but feels a but too big for the car.

Any suggestions?

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    i10
    I agree - I am not at all keen on my steering wheel and consider it too big. Will be watching this with interest as I don't have a clue as to what implications there may be with changing it as they have air bags.

3. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    you will need a boss kit that will bolt on the the steering colum and then bolt the momo wheel on to that.

you will have to remove the air bag tho which is easy enough, you will have the air bag warning light on the dash I belive but you can remove the speedo and ether remove the bulb or cover It up with tape, as if the air bag light comes on and stays on it will fail the mot but if it don't light up its a advisory if they notice

once ive rebuilt mine the big wheel will be coming out for a smaller wheel with flat bottom so ive got more leg room

4. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Another view

To me, the Momo steering wheel is the ideal size and feels comfortable on long cruises.
    One thing to think about if you're going to change to a smaller one...

The Momo frames the dials nicely so everything is easy and clear to see. A smaller wheel may block the view of the dials somewhat so worth checking before committing.

If you do change to different one, it would be nice to see a picture of how it looks from the driver's viewpoint :cool: