1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Nathan

Nathan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thinking off changing my steering wheel to a red momo, anyone offer any advice on whether this is an easy modification?
    Thanks
    Nathan

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    You would have to take off the airbag, which might go off, so disconnect the battery and do not sit in the car at any time when working on the airbag

3. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I changed mine last year. It's a very easy job. The hardest part is having the right tool to remove the air bag - It needs something to undo two screws at the back that look like torq screws. Then, when you have the big nut undone behind the air bag, it might take some messing about to get the wheel to release from the steering column spline.

I read somewhere that before starting to dismantle, you need to disconnect the battery and wait an hour or so to give any capacitors in the system a chance to discharge. I disconnected the battery at the end of the day before and waited until morning to start working on it.

I'm sure I saw a video walk through on this same subject somewhere. Can't find it now...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Absolutely easy to change. Did mine a while ago.
    Two screws behind the horn cover and it will come off. You will find the Momo horn cover without an airbag if its shipped from Japan?
    Just unplug the wires and then 3 nuts to undo the airbag. Remove it and put it in the horn cover of the Momo. Fits perfectly.
    Put the nuts back on or mine had them with it so I used them.
    The wires will be a bit different on the Momo as the horn buttons are on the side of the wheel. It doesn't use the horn cover as the actual
    horn.
    Took me a minute to figure out where the horn was. There are two little emblems on the rubber.
    Anyway, the plugs will fit the same as the ones on the old wheel.
    I put a socket on the big nut that holds the steering wheel on. Once that's off just wriggle the wheel up and down & sideways a few times and
    it will slide off easily.
    Tip: make sure the wheels are straight when you take the original wheel off.
    It is still tricky to get it lined up straight so I didn't worry about the fitting the horn cover straight away.
    Tighten the big nut a little bit and go for a short drive. Adjust on the spine until its straight.
    Then just tighten the nut up well, and put the horn cover on and screws.
    Test the horn, but should be fine and your done! :)

5. Nathan

Nathan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen

6. Nathan

Nathan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen

Thanks for the advice, did you need a boss kit or did you replace with a like for like?
    Nathan

7. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    No you don't. I see those for sale but I checked first. Goes straight on.

8. Nathan

Nathan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Ok so I am good to get something like this and that will hold the airbag ok and maintain the horn working

Attached Files:

• SW.jpg
      SW.jpg
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
  9. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Nah, that doesn't hold an air bag by the looks? I thought you were talking about a Momo the suits the L880K?
    You won't be able to fit that on with out a boss of some sort I would think?
    It will throw a check light for the air bag on the dash anyway..