Starter Motor Spinning but not engaging

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Shaun, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Shaun

Shaun Copenworld Newbie

Hi
    My 5 year old copen has just decided not to start, I can hear the starter motor spinning but it is not engaging with the engine. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Shaun

2. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Shaun,

It could be the solenoid (do cars still have these).

A friend recently and this problem he ended up buying a new battery and that fixed it. I guess if the battery is on its way out it can't supply the massive demand that the starter motor calls for.

3. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    If the starter motor spins reluctantly and sluggishly, the battery might be nearly dead.

If the starter motor spins rather normally, something's wrong with the fuel injection or ignition coils.

If the starter motor spins very quickly, probably the electric-magnetic clutch on the starter motor isn't catching the crankshaft. Long ago my ancient Volvo was stuck in an underground parking lot, a technician saved me from a tow truck by hitting the starter motor with a wrentch while starting to un-stick it.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    If the starter motor is spinning normally but not engaging with the engine then it will be one of two things.
    The solenoid isnt pushing the bendix out so the solenoid is faulty. The other possibility (the worst scenario) is some teeth have sheared of the flywheel and so the bendix is engaging nothing.
    If it's the solenoid you need a replacement starter motor, missing teeth on the flywheel is best not thought about.
    Have you tried putting the car in gear and pushing it forward a little? That will move the flywheel around to a different position where the teeth might be ok?
    My money is on the solenoid though, they can get weak.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Shaun, Welcome to Copenworld.
    My Copen had a problem recently where it was turning over but not firing up. Is that the same as your problem?
    Turned out the battery was dead. New battery & she started fine.
    With the cold weather it will kill off dying batteries.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    He said the stater motor is spinning but not engaging with the engine so I can't see how it can be the battery. A weak battery would turn the engine slowly or not at all. The fact the SM is spinning but not turning the engine points to the solenoid or ring gear. Probably.:)

7. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    had this many years ago on another car. The bit on the starter motor that engages with the flywheel teeth was getting stuck so not engaging with the flywhell. Taking the starter motor off and giving that bit a clean and regrease fixed the problem.

8. Shaun

Shaun Copenworld Newbie

Thanks

Hi
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't had time to try anything but I should get a chance to take a look tomorrow. I will let you know what I found.
    Regards
    Shaun