1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound deadning pads - doors

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Soc, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    The best modification I have done to date to the Copen is fitting sound deadening pads to the door skins and card. What a massive difference, not only does the newly fitted Pioneer speakers without the need for spacers or any modifications sound fantastic (no vibration and deeper bass) but the doors sound solid when closing them just like a top end car. It may add a little weight to the car but its worth it.I have added some images to show the process and a little video highlighting the differences of before and after. The first door doesn't have the deadening pads fitted and the second door does. I hope you can make out the difference in sound. Its a very cheap modification, only costing me around £20!

Remove the door card.

IMG_0846.JPG

No need to cover the entire inner skin, just cut in segments and stick onto the metal. Make sure you clean the metal before sticking the pads. Go for the best quality material you can afford. Quality rather than quantity is important. As I was fitting new speaker, I placed some foam to insulate the gap between the door skin and speaker.

IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0853.JPG

Replace the moisture barrier (plastic sheet) and then your done.

The test video.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Also did this to my car, but a little bit more sophisticated with a layer of bitumen mats and a layer of noise absorbing foam pads. I did not refit the plastic moisture barrier, I also put bitumen mats there for even better insulation. It is really worth the work, just takes a lot of time to do.

copenforbusiness likes this.
  3. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Nice work! :clap:

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Where did you get the sound deadening material?

5. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
  6. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    That doesn't fill me with confidence :p

7. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Thanks for this, Soc - I completed this task a month or so ago and it's really helped the response from the new speakers and, as you say, made the doors sound a lot more solid. Like Salieri I did not replace the moisture barrier as it was not in a fit state to replace by the time I'd removed it! I wonder whether I ought to replace it with something....? :worried:

8. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    You definitely should replace it with something, otherwise you risk getting water into the cabin. It is called moisture barrier for a reason :D

You can use the leftovers from your sound proofing mats (bitumen), just leave some space for the door mechanics to go through.

JulesAtCumbria likes this.