1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some reservations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by baobab68, May 29, 2014.

1. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Considering seeking out a Copen, if I can find a nice one.

Had a chat with a motor mechanic client of mine, who said that since Daihatsu have left Aussie shores, it might be a real mistake in terms of getting parts if any issues arise...

So, Copen owners... how have you found the reliability of your vehicle? How have you found servicing costs? I gather a lot of you are in the UK where Daihatsu probably has still a retail presence.

Oh, and I've read that the roof rattles a lot... true?

2. plusfifty

plusfifty Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    peugeot 508 SW hdi 180
    daihatsu copen 1.3
    daihatsu trevis 1.0
    Go for a 1.3 model. Like all Daihatsus the Copen is a very reliable car. In 8 years i never
    encountered a technical failure although (or because of) i did all servicing myself.
    Furthermore the 1.3 model shares most of its technical components with the Toyota Yaris 1.3 or Daihatsu Sirion 1.3 or... In fact it's a Toyota and most parts can be ordered via the Toyota dealerships.

3. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Daihatsu has left the UK.

The roof may rattle on some people's but it depends if you looks after it. Like many things. One of the noise is a squeak more than a rattle. This is the rubbing together of the sealing rubbers as the chassis flexes. So you need to lubricate the rubbers and the squeak can essential go. But obviously return in time as the rubbers dry out. There are a few threads here were we have discussed our favourite lubrication. I have several now I've tried. Also in time as parts wear the clamping mech and roof position can change/wear. There are adjustment bolts to line up the roof in its closed position which can also help with noise from roof movement. Again there are a few threads on this. Overall its not been noisy for me, not what you'd call a rattle like something old and falling apart as you suggested.

The service costs are very high........but that serves myself right for charging myself a high hourly rate and working slow! :D

4. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Trouble is that here in Australia we only ever had the 0.7L motor, the 1.3 never made it here. I believe that motor is Copen-specific and hence parts would be expensive. Going to look at one this afternoon and I fully expect to fall in love...

5. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Hmmm, yep...I think I could really enjoy the car, and the bad news, I think my gear will fit in the trunk just fine. The example that I test drove this afternoon, would not be on that I would buy - boy has that vehicle been neglected... blew smoke like you wouldn't believe for a full five minutes...

I've read that proper lubrication service is really important on the Copen - anyone concur with this?

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Yes make sure any car you buy has had the oil and filter changed at the specified mileage. A car that hasn't had the oil changes can suffer early turbo failure which is very expensive to replace.

Adam has done a buyers guide on here with more about owning a Copen.

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1078

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. Natalie

Natalie Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I'm in Perth Australia. I've had mine for 4 years now and never had any trouble with it. Like plusfifty said, you can order parts through Toyota. however i haven't ever needed any so i can't tell you more.

Tyres: I found that "Toyo" (not Toyota) makes tyres for the copen and you can get them ordered in. i got mine ordered in through Kmart-Auto a couple years ago.

Also Auto masters do servicing for it at a reasonable price if you don't want to go to the dealership.

the roof does rattle if you go over bumps, but not much when you're driving normally. (plus the whole fun is driving with the top down ;)

8. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Had "Buzz" for a couple of weeks now and loving him. Yes a few tiny problems, his roof does rattle a bit on our *crap* Sydney roads, but overall I'm very happy so far.

9. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    Tyres [Australia]

@ Natalie - Do you recall how much you paid for the Teos from K Mart?

I finally have to replace my last set of Bridgestone RE088 Potenza. They are simply too old and have started to crack and craze in the sidewalls. Bridgestone no longer bring our fitment into the country :-(( A pity because they have been a great tyre - maximum grip in all conditions, quiet and very long lasting.

I note our local choices appear to be:
    - Toyo Teo Plus AUD175
    - Kumho KU31 AUD95 (grey import, old stock),
    - Nanking Eco 2 AUD80 (similar pattern to Teo Plus)
    - Nanking NSii AUD80 (similar pattern to Kumho)
    - Federal Fermoza FD1 AUD125

The Toyo look like a quality option. I have no experience with the other brands.

10. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    Dwayner

Been a while since ive been on here, since i sold my copen after owning it for 10 years from new, and 200'000 km later. I can tell you, they are totally reliable, but when something even minor gies wrong with it, its super expensive. Nothing is cheap on them, and servicing is so important, or the turbo will soon pack it in. In australia, your looking at a 2 grand bill right there. But im back on here to inform people i have successfully placed an order for the 2015 copen, so can tell those outside japan what they will be like. Should be another 9 months before it arrives here, just going thru the paperwork. If its anything as reliable as the first one, ill be very happy

11. grunt

grunt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi A4
    2003 Copen 659
    bugger - I have Potenza's on there now and I like them....though I intend a wheel upgrade soon once I have a few other items sorted and ordered.

MultiPlexMan - if you don't mind me asking you, have a DSport ECU in your AU COPEN right ? Do you know if it's a 89560-E081 or 89560-E082 model ECU (and what year/month is your AU Copen ?).

I'm getting the run around trying to order a DSport ECU off companies on Rakuten at the moment. One cancelled because I gave them my AU VIN and asked for the 89560-E082 ECU (seems to be correct by my build date) and they couldn't be certain so cancelled - and the other (Tempest Power) just keep cancelling orders with no explanation at all (air filters even). I'd prefer to go with a DSport ECU and a few lesser mods like cat and exhaust than go the full customisable ECU route at this stage.

Dwayner - are you still in OZ ? If so, how are you importing a 2014 ? Luv to investigate that option but we all know how interesting the import situtation is here :(

cheers
    grunt

12. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    Dwayner

Its a complex process to import it, it has to go to a company called nippon conversions . They bring it up to ASD specifications.that takes some time, so im expecting it in mid 2015. There is an importation law that makes it easy to import used versions but the emphasis is on used... But thats into australia. Vut i heard from a friend at toyota said they were evaluating the copen to possibly be rebadged as a toyota, as holden, its competitor is also having an imported rebadged convertable later on, so who knows, might get it as a toyota.