1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar trickle charger

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by princess, Jan 8, 2014.

1. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    Hi all had some issue's with the battery going flat due to lack of use so i bought one of these. Only cost me £10!!!!!!:)
    DSCF1506.jpg

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Over how many days of none use was it that left the battery dead?
    Do you plug it in the cigarette lighter hole & leave it on the dash?

3. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    i had one in my mini for years. had it on the rear parcel shelf and connected direct to the battery.

please be aware it will only work in the cigarette lighter socket if the socket still works with the engine off.

4. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

i brought a trickle charger for my copen back in the summer i think and its just a little ac adaptor with the red and black pliers and i think that only cost me £5 new and manages to charge my battery enough within 24 hours of being on charge which i found to be pretty good

5. princess

Car(s):
    I would say around 10-14 days of no use with the alarm on. I might yet change the battery for a new one although it's only 2 years old!!!!:eek:

The solar panel unit is attatched to the outside of my garage just above the door.
    The cables had to be extended so the reach to the end of my garage.. They then attach straight to the battery using some crocodile type connectors...:D

6. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    you can get bolt on (to the battery) cable tails that have about 1m of trail then a multiplug fitting. they are not expensive. I used one of these an another car i had and had the multiplug attached just below the front grill. Means you can easily connect / disconnect the solar panel without even opening the bonnet.

7. princess

Car(s):
    That sounds like a good idea i will look into that :)

8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    princess,
    I don't mean to be a killjoy, but....

I wouldn't expect too much from that solar cell. From the photo you included it states a MAX output of 1.5W, so that mean in full sunlight you will only get a charging current of just over 0.1 Amps.

To me a trickle changer needs to give out at least 1 Amp. So at a charging voltage of 14V that 14W. - In other words, you need 10 of them.

So it may extend the time a little before the battery goes flat (if the sun shines), but I think it will still go flat.

I hope you prove me wrong. ;)

Rex.

9. princess

Car(s):
    So Far So Good!!!!:D

10. princess

Car(s):
    Just a quick update on my solar trickle charger.............. it's working fine:),had no problems with it keeping on top of the charging... Even in this weather:eek: Not bad for a TENNER!!!:D