1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow or struggling electric windows

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Khalid, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Khalid

Khalid Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Sirion Rally II, Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hi guys.

I recently bought a grey Copen and I noticed that when the car was wet the windows would struggle a little then it would go down eventually. When trying to get it back up it wouldn't move and I could hear the motor trying. I had to physically push the window up whilst pressing the window up switch, praying that I don't burn out the motor. As you can imagine this is a nuisance.

I'm sharing what I did that took 10-15 minutes to really help the windows go up and down much more freely.

You will need:
    An old toothbrush
    A small tub or pot
    Washing up liquid (liberal amount) with warm water
    Old rag/ cloth
    Extras:
    Earbuds
    Silicone spray

All you do simply is put the windows down fully, soak your toothbrush in the soapy water and brush the horizontal rubber door strips in a small circular motion on both sides of the strip on each door. You'll see the toothbrush get dirty, just keep dipping and swirling the toothbrush in the soapy water and carry on.

Over time these rubber strips trap dirt and mildew. Mine were slightly crusty, brown and green. The washing up liquid breaks this dirt and mildew down.

Once you've bushed the strip thoroughly, wipe it with a rag and you'll see the dirt come off. I still wasn't quite satisfied so I repeated the brushing process again and wiped it.

You could use earbuds to try and clear and dirt trapped in side rubber guide strips. I didn't do this because I was in a hurry as it was drizzling rain.

Using silicone spray and a clean rag I sprayed the straw nozzle along the rubber guides to revitalise the rubber and add lubrication. I wiped off any excess. I sprayed some silicone spray on to a clean rag and wiped the rubber door strips that would come in contact with the window.

Test the windows up and down a couple of times to spread the silicone lube along the sides of the window.

You should notice the windows should go up and down quite freely without loading the electrics too much.

Also using my clean rag with some silicone spray on it I wiped the hydraulic strut arms when the boot was fully opened. Now the boot lid opens and closes a bit more smoother too.

Silicone spray is some good stuff! 2016-11-17_10-34-36_731.jpg

2. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Silicone spray - Yes, you're absolutely right. Every so often it's worth using on all the rubbers and seals to avoid drying/cracking and future leaks
    :cool: