1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick car Syndrome

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by mac1962, May 20, 2014.

1. mac1962

mac1962 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 0.7 litre Reg WV04 MZZ
    I cleaned/disinfected the air-con last night because I've been feeling a bit yuk on long drives, but only when the roof is up. Also, I rarely use the air-con, just fresh air with the heater set to mid-point.

I used an aerosol from Halfords which releases nasty chemicals into the car with the air-con on full whack while re-circulating the internal air.

It's too early to say if this has made a difference, more of an attempt to solve the problem by elimination. There's no hint of a leaky exhaust or crank-case oil-vapour. My commute involves country roads and I suppose that I could be exposed to chemical spraying, but that wouldn't explain the roof up/down.

I was wondering if anyone else out there in Copenworld has had problems of this kind. I've only had the car a few months and don't know much about its past life, climate, storage, flatulent previous owners! etc.

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I doubt a fart would linger that long and unless you have exhaust fumes getting into the car I can't see how the car is causing your problem.
    I don't know whether the Copen has a pollen filter it's something I've never looked at. If it does have such a filter you could try changing that.
    The air con can trap bacteria but I've never heard of it making anybody feel unwell, just more of a bad smell.which is what your halfords aerosol is meant to get rid of.
    One other thing it's best to use your aircon every so often as the seals can dry out and then you lose al your refrigerant. It's one of those use it or lose it devices.

3. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    PMSL :D

No it doesn't have a cabin filter. You can buy a kit from sunny Japan the goes behind the glovebox. But besides that, its 100% nature outside air you are getting.

Mmmmmmmmmm...............Bisto

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Always one to lower the tone.

There are so many jokes I could extract from that message I could write a book :) Well a couple.

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I'm sure it would be a best seller. :D
    I'm wondering if the OP isn't iust getting travel sick from the bumpy ride and it's nothing in the air. The wind in your face excitement from having the roof down stops this from happening when topless.

6. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    wind in the face........you're back to flatulence again!

Could it be the cramped cabin and limited air?

7. mac1962

mac1962 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 0.7 litre Reg WV04 MZZ
    Could be caused by....

Heavy breathing......

The tip regarding lose-it-or-use-it air-con is useful thanks. I'll remember to cryogenically suspend my "Davinas" with the air-con regularly.

On weekdays, I do a return trip of around 160 miles. It's a pleasant drive in the Copen as its mostly quiet A roads and B roads through the Cotswolds, but the driving position isn't ideal.

I wouldn't rule out a lingering f*rt left behind by a previous owner. If the air-con "bomb" from Halfords doesn't succeed, I'll call The Exorcist or Ghost-Busters ;O)

8. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I find behind the steering wheel is the ideal driving position :D

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ha, Davinas, never heard that before, had to think about it.:D

I have my aircon on summer and winter. It draws moisture from the air and so is a big help with demisting. The Copen not having side window demisters I find they mist up without the aircon on.

10. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Why? what ever do you get up to in your little Copen to get all steamy? More than me it seems. :p

I read that, is it Davina, as in McCall, with an s of ownership for the sentence, or is it with an s and said Dav-in-ass. Sort of greek sounding. Oh no trouble there brewing and thats not just the flatulence brewing!

Although, if the name was DaGinas, I'd be running in the opposite direction. :eek:

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    It's obviously rhyming slang, a part of your anatomy that rhymes with McCalls. Well maybe not part of your anatomy, didn't you have a job once temping as a eunuch? :D