1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealing seals! Glueing the roof weather strips down.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by APPLEDjerry, Feb 1, 2020.

1. APPLEDjerry

APPLEDjerry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    'Lola': 2009 Copen 1.3 Silver
    'Griffin the Mule': Vauxhall Vectra Estate, 2008, 1.8, black.
    I've noticed the edges of the rubber roof weather strips have come away a bit from the metal bodywork, creating a slight raised edge, especially when the roof is closed. It doesn't look ideal and can only encourage deterioration of the seal's integrity in the long run.

I'm also hoping to apply a burgundy leather vinyl to the roof of my silver Copen. This will entail pulling away the rubber sealing strips that run top and bottom of the rear roof panel to get a neat fit.

A lot of the roof rubber seems to be finished off with either glue or tape. Can anyone recommend a good seal fixative to keep the seals lying flat against the bodywork? I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of double sided tape.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  2. Le Red Noddy

Le Red Noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2006 1.3
    Hello.
    Did you ever resolve the issue? I have the same problem(ish). I bought a full set of seals, used, but better than my existing ones, and need to be able to stick on where necessary.
    If you succeeded already, could you please let me know the solution?

Thanks.

3. APPLEDjerry

APPLEDjerry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    'Lola': 2009 Copen 1.3 Silver
    'Griffin the Mule': Vauxhall Vectra Estate, 2008, 1.8, black.
    You need to buy double sided tape for repairing mobile phone screens. I also used A Mini drill with a rubber flap attachment to skim all the old adhesive residue off both the seal and the body work. I've also superglued seals in places, usually at the end of where the seal doesn't want to stay down. This can be reversed if ever necessary by applying acetone.

I've recently bought some T-7000 black rubber supper glue which I've not used before but believe could be invaluable for fixing tricky or torn roof seals.
    T7000 Glue 15ml Super Adhesive Mobile Phone Tablet Touch Screen Repair Sealant | eBay

Previously I've used Geoseal Roof Mate which I consider an essential glue /sealant for fixing roof rubbers in place. It dries to touch dry but it's semi permanent and rubbery, as well as being waterproof.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-t...VE7rtCh3M-gXVEAQYASABEgKm5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I hope this helps.

Le Red Noddy likes this.
  4. Le Red Noddy

Le Red Noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2006 1.3
    Thank you for the advice. Considering my options at the moment.