1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scratchy noise when turning

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by dsb, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    today, going around 2 roundabouts, each time I could hear some kind of whirry scratchy noise from the left hand side of the car - going right at the time.
    anyone ever experienced such a thing?

2. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    Does it only when you turn right? if it does it could be the front left wheel bearing or the rear wheel bearing.Is there anything hanging down from underneath?

3. copenjez

copenjez Copenworld Newbie

Mine's doing the same thing - on turning left, a metallic scratching, rubbing sound. It's the disk dust cover, apparently, so not as dramatic as I'd feared! The garage fixed it a while back, but only temporarily - without having investigated it further yet, I'm guessing something is pressing it against the disk when the wheel is turned ...

4. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    thanks for the replies - doesn't seem to have done it on it's second outing today - i'll keep an ear out.

5. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    seemed to have returned with a vengeance last night - including when driving in a straight line :(
    seemed to go after about 10 minutes of driving though - couldn't be the turbo could it? - the car does have a good service record so hopefully not..... but it's definitely from the left hand side of the car.

6. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    the noise came back today - not when turning right, just when going left or straight - always seems to be after rain or a car wash - could be coincidence.

7. wh1teleopard

wh1teleopard Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '90 Autozam Carol | '91 Honda Beat | '97 Ford Mondeo ST24 | '07 Copen | '15 Toyota Yaris
    Rusty brake discs perhaps?

Mine get very rusty after it's rained, or Charlie's been washed. Stop after a couple of applications of the brakes, or after a safe emergency stop practice on a quiet road with no-one around to upset.
    ;)

8. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    thanks - i'll investigate!

9. copenjez

copenjez Copenworld Newbie

Mine came back - initially when turning left, then even when going straight. Turning right was fine! Took the left hand front wheel off and the dust cover was touching the disk - bent it away, and everything is quiet now. Just don't know how it happens in the first place! :)

10. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    haven't had the problem either for a week - had a look at the wheel, felt inside, there was a flexy bit of metal - presumably the disc cover, gave it a bit of a wiggle - problem gone!