Schultz (sticky oily underseal) Vs Stonechip?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Soc, Aug 27, 2016.

After spending money and effort to remove and protect your beloved Copen from rust, has it returned?

1. Yes, rust/ corrosion has returned pretty quickly :-((

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It took a while for rust to appear, over a year, but it has :-(

50.0%
  3. No, my Copen is still rust/corrosion free years after the work was carried out :-)

50.0%
  1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi folks

I have access to a ramp over the next few days and want to take this opportunity to take a good look underneath the Copen and to protect the under side of the car with some sort of protective coating. I have, as well documented on this site, already sprayed cavity wax in all the doors and arches etc and applied stone chip guard to all under arches, panels and cross members behind the back and front bumpers wherever rust spots were present/visible. My question - I prefer stonechip as it is a much nicer product to use and looks better, lasts longer than than Schultz (traditional black waxy underseal) but would it be OK to use underneath the cars floor pans, braces etc and offer winter protection?

Your feedback appreciated as always.

PS. Out of interest, those Copen owners who have spent just as much time as me, if not more, protecting/repairing their cars against rust, has it returned? Just want to know if I am not wasting my time & money on a unforgiving task. I have set up a poll.

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I think the solution it to move to Australia.
    Mine 13 yrs old body's never been touched and no sign of rust :)

3. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Jez77 - like your idea, but a bit excessive bud! ha ha

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I can't really tell, I have so much underseal on, I cannot see any...but I'm guessing it is good.
    There was already underseal on when I got it.

But I still do not understand the whole "Schutz" thing, I guess it is Bitumen based underseal, but what is the difference to stonechip protection then?

I used permafilm, its a very good product, but it gives you cancer, so use eyegoggles, gloves and a gas mask :D

PERMA FILM System | PERMA FILM

First remove loose rust, then spray whole underbody with fluid film and let it sit for a day: Fluid Film AS-R Rostschutz 400 ml Sprühdose

Then paint it with perma film: Fluid Film Perma Film Rostschutz Schwarz 1 Liter

This ebay seller also ships to the UK, good luck :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  5. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66