Satellite Navigation options

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by emuthebrave, Jul 7, 2019.

1. emuthebrave

emuthebrave Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi. I hope to be buying a Copen in the next few weeks, ideally would like to have an in-built Sat Nav system where the radio normally is, rather than a separate unit/phone. A few of the Copen's I have seen advertised have what seems to be a built-in unit - were these a factory fitted option or has someone had an after market system installed? I have only seen these in-build Sat Nav in the 0.7 variant, and I will be looking for a 1.3. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    UK spec Copen's came with a single DIN radio with a clock and storage compartment, that looks like this:
    DSC01706.JPG

Japanese Copens came with this Double DIN radio:
    o1512201614363960876.jpg

As far as I'm aware, no Copen had built in navigation from factory. However in the 2004 UK Car Price list booklet, in the Copen Accessories section, it mentions "A selection of audio upgrades are available. For full details please contact your dealer."

3. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Sat Nav was never an option AFAIK, probably because the model ran from 2002-2013 so the interior wouldn't allow it. I doubt a 7" screen could even fit. Just get a sat nav from Ebay & keep it in the glovebox, as I do.

BTW, we only got the 0.7 here in Australia. I'd suggest you try one before getting the 1.3. The turbo, intercooled 659 (mine has an aftermarket K&N intake) is a gorgeous, turbine smooth, characterful engine which spins to 8000rpm. I love it even if it is a bit thirsty at 7L/100km.

The gear box is really close ratio meaning !st gear is over in 2 seconds. In 2nd, 3rd, 4th you can really feel the turbo kick in at 3000rpm, making it quite quick once you are moving. But it's not built for the freeway, with 5th at 4000rpm at 100kmh.
    Just try it before you go the 1.3 option. All the best, Brian

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Plenty of threads on here about removing the factory radio and clock and installing a double DIN android head unit with built in SatNav or, if you’re feeling flush, get one with Android/Apple car play and you’re always up to date.

The 1.3 engine is quite torquey, and I think slightly quicker than the 0.6, considering the overall weight of the car but if it isn’t generally imported to Oz, you may struggle to get some service items despite the shared heritage of the 1.3 engine with the Toyota Yaris.