1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Blue, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 !
    350 Z pack
    Hi! I want to buy a new sat nav. Can anyone tell me the best sat nav solution.What are the best dimensions, and where's the best place to fit it. I need a neat solution as there's not much room left once my 6ft 4" bloke's in the passenger seat! I have considered leaving him at home, but he's so useful at giving directions and reading road signs when I get lost. Thanks!

2. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    There are lots of Sat Nav solutions on the market these days.

I now use Tom Tom on my iPhone (with a windscreen mount). Prior to that, I used one of the little Tom Tom units, also with a windscreen mount. Personally I prefer the Tom Tom maps, but it's very subjective.

Rex has an interesting solution here

3. Blue

Blue Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 !
    350 Z pack
    Brilliant! Thanks for the link - I really like what Rex has done- might give that a whirl:)

4. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    To recap Blue, although I have now a pioneer double din, I still think the best solution is a stand alone GPS. The pioneer is okay, but for the money the cost, should be a lot better and very expensive to update! For instance, the warnings for the speed cameras does not always go off (I drive the same route most days, some days it just misses some cameras, another day it's fine!) Also it works on a distance to the camera principle, so it may go off and the camera is on another road close or parallel to the one your on and does not take into account your direction - so on a motor way goes off for a camera in either direction.

I still think you cant beat a tomtom - but as you say, it takes up space. Just to add in-case you missed it at the end of the other post - the first cheap double din I installed didn't last too long.

Rex.

5. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    So if you get a sat nav - which will give directions - you don't need the bloke, right? ;) That should free up some space for a stand-alone sat nav...

Only my opinion, but I'd go for a stand-alone device - I think it's probably easier to update, easier to fit, cheaper to buy and easier to load maps for other regions. Although, in fairness, I have no experience with the built-in sat navs.

I've had a Tom Tom for 2 years now. The downside is that the rechargeable battery lasts next to no time - so it needs to be plugged in all the time in the car.

Whichever you go for, I think it's a good investment - cheaper than a divorce - which judging by the arguments we used to have about directions seemed likely. :eek:

6. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    Oh - another point...

I don't know what things are like in Switzerland, but here in South Africa, a flashy looking entertainment system in the car is an open invitation to have your windows smashed and the system stolen.

Has anyone else noticed that it takes hours to fit a car radio system - but only seconds to remove it? :think:

Here, it makes better sense (I think) to have a windscreen mounted stand alone unit - and take it with you.

7. Blue

Blue Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 !
    350 Z pack
    Thank Rex and Ashley! - I eventually went for the TomTom option :) I leave it in the car (as smash and grabs here only seen to happen to the most expensive of cars) - unless 'Bloke' is in the car- then I have to leave TomTom at home. I'd still like to whip the radio out and have something flush/ flash :D fitted into the space - but TomTom will do for now!