1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sachihiro the Copen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AFR0N1, May 31, 2018.

1. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I decided to create a new thread so I can share updates, pictures and any future mods and other stuff related to Sachihiro in one place.
    P.s, mine and his first introduction can be found here: Hello everyone! (^-^)/

So to start, here is some information and pictures of him :3
    His name is Sachihiro (さちひろ)【幸広】and he is a 2005 L880K UK specification with a JB-DET engine.
    He is Bright Silver metallic (S28) with the optional leather package in red and he has the alloy air vents.
    According to the 2004 price list, Sachihiro has £1,119.35 in options and cost a total of £14,614.35. Today that's about £22,252.35.
    I bought him in 2018 for £3,995.

His name means extreme happiness and I named him that because of the happiness he brought me and because Copen's are probably the happiest looking cars ever, next to the Austin Healey Sprite MK2.
    幸 is sachi which can mean happiness or fortune
    広 is hiro which can mean wide or vast
    Put them together and you get vast happiness
    さちひろ【幸広】= Sachihiro [vast happiness]

He is my first car and all of his previous owners were all in the same family, and it appears that his previous family took good care of him :D

Photos: (search afr0n1 on the web and you will find more pics of him on Instagram and other websites)
    DSC01872.JPG
    DSC01874.JPG
    sketch-1525645304258.png
    DSC01833.JPG
    DSC01856.JPG
    DSC01695.JPG
    DSC01693.JPG
    DSC02252.JPG
    He went to Japfest Silverstone 2018!

DSC02044-1.JPG DSC01880.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Attack chihuahua, Tony and Mabel like this.
  2. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    I managed to get his exhaust tips clean!
    DSC02261.JPG
    I used the abrasive side of a dish sponge and some warm water with dish soap mixed into it.
    It worked surprisingly well :D
    But there was a little bit of dirt that didn't want to come off though...
    DSC02262.JPG
    He looks a million times better now!

Attack chihuahua likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Looks very tidy. I may tidy my exhaust tips up this summer too. Thanks for another job on the list :)

AFR0N1 likes this.
  4. Mabel

Mabel Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Currently Toyota Vitz - Looking for a Copen!
    Are the tips stainless steel? Autosol metal polish is excellent for removing marks like that if the left over one annoys you!

5. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    Rust! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!1
    I would love to get him up on a lift to get a good look but that isn't possible right now, so here is all of the rust I have found so far...
    Right door sill
    DSC02277.JPG

DSC02278.JPG
    Left door in front of the door mirror
    DSC02281.JPG
    In between the boot and the body on the right hand side
    DSC02279.JPG
    Rear right wheel arch
    DSC02285.JPG
    Rear left wheel arch
    DSC02284.JPG
    Rust on various parts on the underside (This is the best I can see them)
    DSC02268.JPG

How much do you think this will cost to fix properly? And do you think it is possible for me to fix some of it myself? (I'm not good with paint and bodywork but apparently there is some stuff that you coat surface rust with and it converts it to metal or something like that)
    Also, his previous owners has had some rust repair done on him in the past on one of the sill's
    p.s I'm kinda worried right now ;-;

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    There is one quick DIY rust stopper, mix ~70% boiled linseed oil and ~30% white spirit, you can paint it on rusted surfaces (maybe you need to do it 2x) an it will stop the rusting for a while.
    The linseed oil will gain better rust penetration capabilities through the white spirit, when exposed to air it will polymerise and turn solid over the course of a few days, starving the rust of oxygen

There is also a very similar product you can buy, its called Oxyblock, but as far as I know, its only available in Germany. (Oxyblock Sicherheits Roststopper 250ml | Korrosionsschutz-Depot)

However, the best method still is grinding down to bare metal and respraying. IT all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. To me, it looks like you need to put a lot of effort into it, given that you want to keep it for longer

Are there no hobbyist-garages in your area, where you can put Sachihiro on a lift?

7. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    about your rusty tiny friend..:oops:

maybe you can translate this side...

Rostumwandler Test » Alle Modelle für 2018 im Test & Vergleich

i prefer fertan.

Home

easy use..put it in a airspray bottle and spray it on the underbody on the rusty parts..small parts with a brush if possible..

:wasntme: helps..easy to do..let it for a week then..some of this one over it..
    https://www.amazon.de/Nigrin-Unterb...hutz-Schutzwachs/dp/B00NFFR4TM?language=en_GB

:) every year..:happy:

tiny exhaust pipes like mines hehe.. DSC00375.JPG
    have to clean these up too..
    but good work:D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    AFR0N1 likes this.
  8. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    A video of Sachihiro lowering his roof.

(This video is a little bit old hence the filthy exhaust and the lack of CT and AFR0N1 stickers.
    The reason for uploading an old vid now is because my main video editor didn’t like the original format of the vid and converting the file didn’t really work, but I have finally found a decent editor that is free and accepts the converted vids so I can edit out myself)

And about the rust, I'm still trying to get quotes, so far I only got one and they are quoting £400 for the rust in the pictures (any paint work repairs will need to be done elsewhere they say) but if I want a full under seal and stuff then it will cost £600 (I don't know if that price includes any paintwork)

9. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    about the rust, why you don`t do it by yourself? Like this way...;) DSC00343.JPG

BRUCE REYNOLDS (GTR) likes this.
  10. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    I would if I had the space and tools to be able to do it, and knew exactly what I was doing.
    Also I'm scared that I'll mess something up, so I thought it would be best to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Also a tiny bit of rust is on the body so a little bit of painting would be needed and I really suck at painting.
    (The last time I painted something it looked like a 5 year old did it)

11. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    nothing to say about it..:(, a lots of tips in youtube..:wasntme:

12. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    Update on Sachihiro:
    1. I am saving up funds for rust repair and undercoating.
    2. In the mean time I have found this "anti corrosion" spray laying around in the garage, so I sprayed it pretty much everywhere on his underside that I could get to, including behind his rear bumper (which looked mostly clean of rust for the most part, Just little bits of surface rust here and there was all)
    3. The drivers side washer nozzle was spraying way too high and the passenger was too weak so I replaced the nozzles and they spray perfectly now.
    4. He was missing 1 of the tools from the factory tool kit as well as the bag that they came in. I have bought the tool kit from another copen that was being broken for parts.
    DSC02509.JPG
    I only needed the bag and the long metal thing for the jack. The rest I didn't really need.
    DSC02513.JPG
    DSC02510.JPG
    The replacement wrench was really corroded. I'm guessing they were originally chromed. It looks as though the previous owners painted my original wrench to protect it, so I have decided to keep the painted wrench in Sachihiro as it looks nicer. I might try and clean up the chrome tools at some point to keep the factory look.
    DSC02512.JPG
    So now he has all of the original accessories and such even including the original Daihatsu Roadside assistance card that expired in 2008!

Attached Files:

Tony and BRUCE REYNOLDS (GTR) like this.
  13. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    @AFR0N1
    I admire your enthusiasm Afron, but until you get that rust sorted you could be wasting money on the trimmings.

Salieri likes this.
  14. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    It will be sorted out soon. Hopefully some time next month he will get rust removed and undercoated. I promise.

15. Tegan SA

Tegan SA Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen 1,3
    2013 BMW 118i auto
    AFR0N1 likes this.
  16. AFR0N1

Car(s):
  17. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    I went for a drive and I took a few photos.
    sketch-1534634707828.png
    sketch-1534634762173.png
    DSC02563.JPG

18. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    Update on Sachihiro the Copen:

Rust will be sorted out on the 2nd of January. I'm taking him to a place to get some work done on the sills.

Alternator belt was squeaking and they started developing cracks, so I changed all 3 belts. The squeak is gone now.
    DSC_0063.JPG
    And everything else is going well ^-^

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  19. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    Sachihiro's rusty sills have been fixed!
    His sills started bubbling up and had holes in them so I took him to a place to get them fixed. Apparently it was full of filler!
    Before:
    DSC02584.JPG
    After:
    DSC_0079.JPG
    Now there is fresh new metal and the sills were willed with dinitrol, to make sure they don't rust again anytime soon. The paint has no more bubbles and looks as good as new! :D
    It cost a total of £510 if you're wondering.

The rear wheel arches have a bit a rust, which will be sorted out once I save up some more £££

Edit: They posted some pics of the repair. tbh it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.
    JR Classics Ltd on Instagram: “This little Daihatsu Copen had rust blistering through the front of both sills. All the rust was cut out, new pieces fabricated and welded…”

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Brad, adatara, sunlover and 1 other person like this.
  20. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Glad it's all sorted, just had a
    read of your intro and really enjoyed it, your art work is excellent too. Onto the next job ...mine's is taking carpets out of boot to locate leak, also little bit rust treatment.

AFR0N1 likes this.