1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running wire into cabin from engine... any suggested routes?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tieak, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    Greeting,

So I was planning to fit a couple of daylight running lights onto the car.

I have seen the kits but with my aversion to tampering too much with the current wiring, I was planning in just adding a switch inside the car, taking the power from the fuse box on the driver side, below the steering wheel and running a wire to the lights.

Before I start pulling off the trim in earnest, does anyone know of a suitable route for a wire from the interior into the engine bay?

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. David 48

David 48 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    On the 660 there is a blank unused plastic grommet in the bulk head.
    It is about 15" from the battery side and about 10" down. It comes out behind the heater
    unit, but it is possible to thread a draw string through. I did it when fitting plastic tubing for a boost gauge

Tieak likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    After I had mine fitted, I realised that it’s a very easy DIY job when I changed the battery.

Basically, the kit comes with a controller that detects the increase in voltage that occurs when the alternator is running. You attach a wire (prefitted with a connector) to the positive battery terminal (just slacken the clamp nut - no need to remove it), fix the lights in position, and connect the negative to any available nut on the inside of the engine bay.

Honestly, it’s that simple.

Tieak likes this.
  4. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    I've had a look...I can see the grommet but perhaps I should try that controller idea.

There is just so much stuff crammed in the engine bay it's difficult to get anywhere near the spot, such a contrast to the old 1.6 Ford Capri and vast emptiness it had under the bonnet :)

5. David 48

Car(s):
    copen
    Yes - to fit the controller would be the easier solution. Where can you buy it?

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    2421287C-6093-4ACD-92A6-997B46FC75C0.jpeg
    I got mine from either eBay or amazon. I went for the complete kit which included the lights and controller.

There’s a third wire that you should fit to the headlight circuit so that they dim when the lights are on but I’m sure most people don’t bother. The kit has the instructions should you want/need to do so.

7. David 48

Car(s):
    copen
    Many thanks
    David

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
  9. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    Again, thanks for everyone's help, just to say that's the lights now fitted and working. So less concerned about driving a small grey car on a wet grey day.

It was fairly straightforward, the only slight problem being the first controller I got didn't work that well. I suspect had its "turn off" voltage was set at something below the stated 13.3 volts as it stayed on after the car was turned off, even after four hours.

I also got a set of very small round led lights, they are fitted in a couple of grill holes without any worries about breaking the grill itself.

Happy days