1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof will not close

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Charles Pate, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Charles Pate

Charles Pate Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Dear all, I am new to copen world and to the copen car. My wife purchased one 6 months ago and she loves it. It has been perfect until a few weeks back when the roof refused to close. I can do it manually but not in the normal way. I open the retaining clips, push the switch but nothing. I have a monitoring tool but there are no errors. Any ideas???

2. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi sorry to hear about the roof, can't help with it but there is a public facebook group for copen also, try there if no one here can help. Must have a read myself I wouldn't have a clue what to do if that happened
    Hope you get it sorted.

3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    You haven’t given us much to go on Charles.

Might be helpful to describe in detail what actually happens e.g. roof light on/off, relay click or not, pump actuates - you get the idea.

Have you tried pulling the switch ?

4. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Hi, the boot and roof opens with no issues. When I press the switch to close the roof nothing happens, no clicks from the relay. No warning light on the dash. Nothing to indicate where the problem is. If I close the roof manually it will open again on the switch but again will not close. I hope this help as I have no more information. Thanks

5. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    My next action was to remove the switch and test if that is actually working.

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Ok. That’s more helpful.

When you open the roof, the bootlid moves first. When you close the roof, does the bootlid move ? Reason for asking is it’s the same hydraulic force whereas closing the top takes more than lowering.

Now a stupid question (and I fell foul of this myself on the MX5) you know it’s a 2 way switch ? So push to open and pull to close (or vice versa cos I’m in the house).

7. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Hi, thanks for the reply. We have used the roof about 15 times without a problem so I know about the two way switch. But thanks for the comment as it could be something stupid. No the boot does not open when I try and close the roof...Nothing happens. I will try and look at the switch tomorrow as the next step.

Best wishes

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:I speak from experience. I px’d the Copen for an MX5 and was used to the single switch. On the MX5, I couldn’t close the roof and drive back to the dealer spitting feathers. Turned out there are 2 switches on the MX5.

9. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Dear all, I started to look at the switch then found the battery was dead so I fitted a new one and found "The roof worked again". That's all I did.

Bob

10. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo