1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof struggled to close .........

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Chimpers, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Chimpers

Chimpers Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen1.3
    Hi
    When closing my roof this evening it really struggled to close the last section (boot cover) I held the button on and kept my fingers crossed and it did close but it was slow and seemed to strain. I've had it open more than closed in the month I've owned it and never had this happen before, I'm a little scared to reopen it now in case it doesn't close.....especially with all the rain forecast and no garage to pop it in I'm also slightly scared of the instruction manual section re manual closing and the need to two people etc etc.

Have any of you had this problem?

It may be a coincidence but I had just picked it up from the garage where they have been looking at the air con, apparently the air con radiator needs replacing but as one is not available from daihatsu they are having it reconditioned and have removed it from the car. Fortunately I have a year warranty with purchase

I love my copen, especially with the top down, driving to work has never been so much fun!!!!

Thank you

2. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Hi

This is from the Copen UK Owners Manual 2-14.

"lf the Active Top is not operated for several weeks, the hydraulic pressure of the Active Top will drop. When the Active Top is actuated, it will take a little time until the hydraulic pressure is built up even though you can hear an operating sound. Then, when you operate the Active Top, it can operate normally, only requiring an ordinary operating time. The aforesaid phenomena are not showing a malfunction."

On mine, I kept automatically opening and closing the roof while also lubricating every joint in the boot I could find with grease/oil and eventually it seemed to go back to normal speed.

However, the Copen did have this problem again after I sold it (and I don't know the final outcome) but see here:

https://www.copenworld.com/community/threads/hydraulic-fluid.3111/

Hope you get it sorted

KS

3. Chimpers

Chimpers Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen1.3
    Hi Klausanta

Thank you so much for your advice, I do remember reading about the pressure when I had a look through the manual but had forgotten about it.
    As rain wasn't forecast for Sunday or today I took the plunge and opened the roof yesterday morning, all ok and closing went as normal, I did this again a couple of times during the day and had no problems so it was roof down on the way to work this morning

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond
    Chimpers