1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof problems

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Alan Campbell, Sep 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alan Campbell

Alan Campbell Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    Hello. I'm in Perth Western Australia and have owned my Copen since 2004. It's been fantastic. We've had 18 years of dream driving.
    Recently, though, the roof malfunctioned. I tried to 'fix' it by raising and lowering the roof (see how much I know about car mechanics?) and the roof stopped working half-way through the operation. So I called the auto association; the guy had no idea how to fix my problem, though he did get the roof closed. Then I went to my local Toyota service department. After about a $500 cost he said he had to get the wiring diagrams from Japan. I take the car back tomorrow. I'm hoping it'll be back to normal by the end of the day. But if not, I may need the forum's help. Please stand by...

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Good luck Alan,
    But not forget the manuals are available to download from the resources section - including electrical. But I believe you have to make a couple of posts to access them.

Of course as I'm sure you know the roof is hydraulic so make sure there is fluid visible in the pump container / valve block in the boot, as there could be a leak. Other than that I would see if you have the electrical power to the motor and the valves.

3. Hubbington

Hubbington Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi there. How does one check there is electrical power to the motor and valves? (complete novice question I expect).

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Might be helpful to describe exactly what happens. As you’ve had the Copen for a while, you’ll be aware that there is a roof indicator light and it beeps at various stages of operation, such as both hinges undone and when it has retracted or closed fully.

5. Hubbington

Hubbington Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi, thanks very much for your message. Here goes:

The roof indicator light is permanently on and there are no beeps when either of the hinges are undone. I don't get any sort of noise when I press the button in the centre console for the boot to open. I've manually opened the boot and it doesn't do it's automatic close when I close the boot. I'm going to use an ODBII scanner tonight and check the codes, possibly try and reset. Also going to check the 30A roof fuse for draw, didn't know how to check the boot for electric power?

Really appreciate your comments and help.

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Most likely one of the front hinge connections has gone duff so the roof doesn’t know it’s status. I think there are a couple of posts on here that detail the adjustments.

7. ZOE

ZOE Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    DAIHATSU COPEN
    FIAT 595 COMPETIZIONE
    Hi
    I have had my copen parked up for the winter, now I have the same problem as you.
    The roof light is on and the boot and the roof will not open.
    Have opened the boot manually,
    Could you let me know if you have any luck with yours please

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @ZOE

Yours may well be the battery. Try holding 2500 rpm and operating the roof.

9. ZOE

ZOE Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    DAIHATSU COPEN
    FIAT 595 COMPETIZIONE
    Thanks, but I now have a new battery, The light is showing that the roof is not closed,Had to open the boot by hand, but nothing is working.