1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof problem

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Audrey Sollis, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Audrey Sollis

Audrey Sollis Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Coupen
    Hi I need help regarding my roof: it will not open have tried every thing I can think of. Have even had to open boot manually,think it may have something to do with the small windows not going down. Can anyone help with this problem I have taken my car to auto election but no joy next step Copen dealership.

2. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    The roof won't go down if the quarterpanel windows don't that's right, is the red light for it showing by the aircon button?

What happens when you press the roof button, do the large windows roll down then it stops instead of the small?

Is the boot cover firmly in place? Boot closed sensor ok? Battery level ok? No water in boot near roof ECU? (I keep a mesh laundry bag of cat litter tucked around mine to absorb moisture)

3. Audrey Sollis

Audrey Sollis Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Coupen
    H
    i thanks for your reply roof button light is on all the time - no windows roll down when roof button is pressed - Brand new battery so full power on that.- If I try to lower passenger Windows door window goes down but rear quarter will not. Do not know how to get to the window mechanism ? Boot is firmly in place also sensor is ok - I need help have no work shop manual.
    Thanks again

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Hi Audrey,

The roof light shouldn't be on all the time. It should only come on when you unclip the front catches and start to operate the open/close mechanism. It remains on until the cycle has closed.

There are several interlocks that control the roof. The boot divider must be in place i.e. upright and properly located in the two lugs at the rear 1/4 of the boot. Handbrake on and roof catches both undone, then you can operate the button.

You'll have to go through step-by-step to see which part is at fault. If the light is on permanently, you can stop there and you'll have to search the forum for details as to how to diagnose the faults using the OBD port.

Do you get the beep when you undo the catches ? At that point, I think the light comes on unless the boot divider isn't in place (or the boot microswitches are faulty).

The 1/4 panel windows should then lower. I can't remember which order the windows lower or if they both go together but if it's at this point where it all goes pear shaped, that would point towards a window motor failing or sticking. You could ask someone to gently put pressure to lower the window in case it's just crud in the runners.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I'm pretty certain it's not the windows from that - I believe it has to be either a sensor or ECU problem for the light to stay on permanently.

The 1/4 windows lower after the door windows and they only lower automatically when you're putting the roof down.