1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof not opening?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Jeff cullen, Feb 11, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Jeff cullen

Jeff cullen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 copen (peanut)

2x spares cars
    Hi guys new on here but had our lil copen a while now

sadly the roof has decided to stop working and its giving me a proper headache!

windows drop as they should pump starts up in the boot then passenger side of the boot lid starts to lift but not the drivers side

Fluid level is just below the + on the pump reservoir and ive cleaned up all the contacts that have given issue in the past?

any ideas whats going on?

2. Chris Hawley

Chris Hawley Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    I know just a little about these roofs but probably just enough for a little knowledge to be a dangerous thing.

But the operations manual can be downloard from this website (under resources) and it's section 15 that's relevant to the roof (albeit 30 odd pages of pretty technical stuff). From this it would appear that the critical functions for opening the front of the boot lid are the left and right side latches and the left and right hydraulic rams for the lid (as opposed to te other two for the roof link).

A common failure point in the system is the roof control ECU which by virtue of the ever present damp in Copen boots may fail and if drying oujt doen't help replacement is necessary.

It's unlikely, but the boot lid gas struts can get bent, if there has been previous strain, and obstruct movement. Easy replacement so worth a check just to exclude that possibility.

The only folk I know who have the diagnostic kit for Copen roofs are Quenby in Baldock. May or may noit be relevant dependinng where you are in the country.

When you do get a fix I'd be most interested to know more.

Elsie Wheeler and Jeff cullen like this.
  3. Korg

Korg Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Turbo Copen in Yellow
    Sounds like it's stuck somewhere, or a latch on one side is not disengaging. IIRC there is a blue tab you can pull behind the parcel shelf, try that on the affected side and see what happens.

Jeff cullen likes this.
  4. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I believe somewhere on this site it gives details of two pins you short togeather on the OBD plug. This then gives a little more diagnostics on roof problems by counting the flashes on the red roof indicator.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
  6. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Hi lads,
    Just noticed that an our newly bought Copen, the roof is opening/closing only after the engine is worm enough. Even the battery is a new one and engine is on but cold, the roof is not reacting. Even windows are not going down until the engine is hot. After the temperature is proper then everything is fine.
    Is it normal?

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    No, not normal. Have you tried checking the battery voltage? Needs to be above about 12.5V when operating the roof. Also you could check for corrosion on the window cpu edge connector located in the right side of the boot floor. Damp boots are a common problem caused by the boot brake light seal.

8. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Thanks a million.
    The funny stuff is that a battery is a brand new one, bought from Halfords Yuasa, 40Am. I have even charged it using a battery charger to something about 14.6V.
    Also, the roof and windows are absolutely fine in opening and closing after the engine is hot(middle scale position).
    The boot is absolutely dry.
    I applied lithium grease on all hinges. Sprayed electronics cleaning solution to all contacts.
    So, it's a mystery.
    The only thing I found is in Japanese manual, says that if a roof was not operational for a while, then the pump pressure could be lower than required. It needs some number of opening/closing cycles to get it back.
    We bought a car through an auction last September and received it only in March.
    So, maybe it is the reason.
    I would understand if the roof doesn't open at all but it does work.
    Also, after the roof hinges opened, the indicator is solid red, no flashing. But, if I am pressing the button before the engine is hot enough, then it is flashing.

9. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Rustam,
    Have you had a look at the video link above? If the red roof indicator is flashing you may be able to find out more details of the fault.
    Rex.

10. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Hi Rex, thanks.
    Yes, I tried it. I managed to erase errors, then they appeared again. The main complain is about not enough voltage coming to the roof ECU (Less than 9V).
    I tested an alternator and it gives charge. Couldn't confirm if it gives enough but no problem with charge in expected way - it's above 14V.

Could you guys tell me how many times could you open/close your roof with running engine? Is it possible to do 2-3 cycles in one go? Mine drains battery with running engine in just one cycle and sometimes even windows refuse to open.
    Another question: is your roof opening on a cold engine? Just lets say, next morning you turn your engine on and would a roof open immediately?

Got a battery replaced again (40Ah, 360A) - will try to charge it full and test then. Would be interesting to try a more powerful battery but a compartment is too small to fit something bigger.

11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    You should be able to open and close the roof as many times as you like with the engine running.

The roof and window ecu are in the right side of the boot under the matting. As boots are known to corrode if there has been water ingress, I'd check the ecu connectors are clean and look to see if there are any earthing points. If possible you could try measuring the supply voltage at the ecu connector. Could be a bad earth causing the low voltage.

12. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Thanks, Rex.
    New battery hasn't changed anything. Even if I connect a battery charger to my battery and the engine is running the same time - the roof is not opening immediately. It needs some good time to heat up the engine and charge the battery actually full and only then, I can open or close the roof.
    Will try to check ECU. I couldn't really understand the physics of the problem))
    If ECU receives not enough power then, why it actually starts working at later point? I could understand if it is not working at all. But that: 'battery full and hot engine' only - couldn't)

13. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    All good questions Rustam. One possible thought.... As the exhaust runs under the boot, I've noticed the boot floor gets warm after a time. So could the ecu's heating up be anything to do with your issue (not the battery charge)? I would still suggest you have a look at the connections and earthing points next.

Coupon likes this.
  14. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Hi lads,
    Just to share something finalising my journey to solve not opening roof issue.
    It's actually hilarious and anecdotal.
    I spent days reading the manuals and annoying mates on this forum just to almost giving up and buying a new roof ECU on eBay for some £200 or even more as would need to pay stupid 23% VAT to get it from the UK to Ireland.
    I tried everything possible including replacing batteries, checking alternator, switches, lubricating all levers...
    The actual reason I had problem opening roof was a curtain switch in the boot (luggage curtain - the one on top of the floor in the boot which you lift and release before placing any stuff in the boot)
    Damn! It appears that by going around especially over ramps, that boot curtain switch is depressed or something which is finalising the ECU complaining and refusing the roof to open.
    By just opening the boot and releasing and placing back that damn curtain everything is fixed.
    The roof is opening immediately after that.
    Why for the sake of god it is not mentioned in the trouble shooting section of the manual?)))
    So, before spending money for repair, just release the curtain and place it back and check if the roof is opening.
    I feel relieved, happy and pretty stupid the same time))))

Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
  15. Rustam

Rustam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 2004
    Also, thanks a million, Rex for your help and friendly support during this struggle and fight) I really appreciate it