Roof/boot issue - red dash light stays on

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by atb, Nov 28, 2016.

1. atb

atb Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 2007
    and a
    Daihatsu Materia 2009
    Hello
    I've been searching through the forum for any information about my issue but not really found exactly the same

quickly describe - roof works as it should but the red light stays on. the boot will open with the button just a little - just enough to get my fingers under but still on a catch but will open properly by pulling on the manual boot opener. at this point the red light will go out and the boot will open/close as normal - until I open the roof again when the red light comes back on and I have to manually open the boot again.

Now, I'm guessing it could be a sensor switch that's gone wrong or misbehaving.
    But where are they all?
    I've found the two left and right of the boot on the hinges and I guess there is one on each of the two clips inside the car.

is there a diagram showing where they all are or a list maybe?

any help with this will be very much appreciated.

with regards to the boot issue the only thing I've done so far is to disconnect the battery for 10 mins to see if that would reset it but it hasn't .
    ta

2. graham

graham Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen

3. graham

graham Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen
    Hi
    Got roof problem to but no oweners handbook for help.
    Great
    Graham

4. atb

atb Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 2007
    and a
    Daihatsu Materia 2009
    hello Graham...
    you can get a digital copy of the owners handbook here in the resources section (or just click the Resources tab at the top of the page)

5. graham

graham Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen
    Thats great thanks for that should b a big help.
    Graham

6. atb

atb Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 2007
    and a
    Daihatsu Materia 2009
    Bump!
    I still have the same problem...
    I put the roof problem to the back of my mind over winter as I haven't had much need to have the roof down.... but with the good weather on its way I now do!!!

Can anyone help???

7. Attack chihuahua

Attack chihuahua Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    Hi atb
    With the boot open have a look at the Boot catch you should see a little rubber bung attached to a metal lever.
    This pops the boot when you activate the boot release switch. If this is in the wrong place it won't pop the boot properly. It should sit on the plastic cover next to the boot latch. Easy way to check pit some grease on it, close the boot lid, attempt to open and see were it sits. If it's not in the correct position, gently adjust it, and it should be ok. This happens to our car after it had been restored,think it just got knocked by accident, I couldn't get the boot/roof to work correctly until I spotted this.
    Hope this will help

8. Attack chihuahua

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    Heres a picture of the lever. IMG_0825.JPG

9. atb

atb Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 2007
    and a
    Daihatsu Materia 2009
    Hello Attack chihuahua
    thanks for the photo....
    I've checked the lever as suggested and it is in the right place and functioning properly.

the problem - I'm convinced - is to do with the electronic mechanism where the boot lock is. After further investigation when the button is pressed to open the boot it runs but doesn't fully release the catch.... a bit like when a normal car door shuts but not quite. The catch has caught but not shut 100%. but the difference is its not letting it open.

anyway...
    I took the car to my local (ex) Daihatsu dealer who have had a quick look at it and agree that there is an issue with it and I've booked it in to be sorted out next week.

I'll post when and if its sorted.... fingers crossed. :)

10. Attack chihuahua

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    Hope it gets fixed soon, summers coming :)

11. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Please let us know what happens and what the problem was. In case we find ourselves in this puzzling situation... :oops:
    Cheers.

12. BananaBuggy

BananaBuggy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2006, sunshine yellow, red interior

13. BananaBuggy

BananaBuggy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2006, sunshine yellow, red interior
    Hellooo! Any joy with the boot issue? I can open mine with the manual button in the little box between the seats, but if I press the electric button to retract the roof, it starts but doesn't complete ... then it beeps again without the roof having moved.

14. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Have you checked your boot partition is in place and nothing under/on top of it? And just checking, I'm not sure from your post, your boot works normally but your roof doesn't? You're not trying to open the roof after opening the boot correct?

Do the windows come down when you hold the roof button? Both side windows then the small windows should roll down first, then the edge of the boot nearest the rear window opens up before the roof moves.