Roof/boot intermittent

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Nareik, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Nareik

Nareik Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Phase 1 saxo
    Mk1 mx5
    Hi, yesterday I picked up a copen. The man I bought it from showed everything working etc. I went home with the roof up.

After stopping for fuel a continuous beeping sound started every time I went over 3mph or so. I assumed this was to do with the roof not being property attached. I stopped and checked everything, but it wouldn't stop.

I got home and messed about to see what might stop the beeping. I put the roof down then up and the beep is now gone. However, I'm having intermittent issues with both the boot and roof. The boot occasionally opens with the button on the centre console. The roof light is permanently on and will not operate at all. I've checked the manual and I've made sure all the conditions for the roof are met, the handbrake light etc. According to the manual the illuminated light means that the roof is ajar, but it's fully latched. Sometimes there's a beep when I put thr latches on, most of the time there isn't.

Am I doing something massively wrong? I've never owned a car with an electric folding roof.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    There are microswitches where the latches catch the window frame. Maybe one of them is bent or not working correctly. The light in the centre console will stay on if the roof is not latched properly

3. Nareik

Nareik Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Phase 1 saxo
    Mk1 mx5
    Thanks for the reply, I'm getting a beep when I release the roof latches so surely they must be fine? I now cannot open the boot with the button or the manual pull cord.

I'm completely at a loss with it :(

4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Nareik
    1, When you went for petrol did you open the boot and if you did, did it lock properly?
    2, The engine needs to be running when you operate the roof.
    3, Check the boot luggage partition has to be pulled into the locked position.
    4, I would certainly do a battery check as the electrics on these cars take a lot of juice, The ECU system will not work properly if the battery is under par. (We always keep ours on a trickle charger because of this problem)
    Hope this helps.