1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof/Boot Doesn't Settle Properly

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by MeGaLoDoN, Dec 21, 2012.

1. MeGaLoDoN

MeGaLoDoN Copenworld Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my roof/boot. I don't really know how to explain it, so here are some pics. (First two pics show the inside of the car, behind the two seats. When the roof is closed, i.e covering the car, that little board tends to stick out, instead of lying flat.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And here is a pic of the way it was before this happened.
    [​IMG]

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Firstly nice Limited edition Copen you have there.
    Can you take a picture with the roof up & the boot open looking up at the underside of where that parcel shelf should be sitting flat. There are two little metal arms that the parcel shelf is attached too.
    Does the roof operate correctly?
    Does the boot lid close correctly (all the shut lines correct)?

The parcel shelf is only held in by four small plastic retaining clips. Check in the boot to see if they have fallen out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. MeGaLoDoN

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. (And thanks, I find it really awesome too :p)

Yup the boot closes properly, both with the roof opened/closed.

I wasn't really sure what to look out for regarding the parcel shelf, so I just snapped a couple of pics. I found a plastic thingy as well. Might be one of those retainers you mentioned, only found one though.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Okay that round rubber thing isn't to do with the parcel shelf cover.
    On the left hand side of the boot where the partition divider slots into the plastic holder you will see a hole (I can see it in the photo). That rubber thing fits in that hole. If you look on the right hand side you'll see the same rubber. bit. The top part of the roof sits on these rubbers when folded down.

I can see in the boot you have something stored where the tonneau cover would fit. It looks like a tonneau cover but npt stored correctly in it's bag. This is what is causing your problem. It looks like it's hanging down to low. When the roof folds down this item in the boot interferes with the parcel shelf. Luckily the parcel shelf is only fitted with little plastic clips I mentioned. So the parcel shelf should have just popped out of position without causing much damage.

Half fold the roof down so you can get access to the parcel shelf. You should be able to pull it out of the car. I bet the four clips are still fitted to the shelf.
    To undo the clips, you'll see a round dot in the centre of them. Press your ignition key into these dots. This will depress them, unlocking the clips. You'll now be able to get your finger nails under clips to push them out.

Now to re-fit the shelf. Where the shelf used to be you'll see two metal arms. Each arms has two holes in. With the roof half down still, you should be able to put the shelf back down, resting on these bars. So the shelf is in it's correct flat position. The four holes in the parcel shelf align with the holes in the brackets.
    Now you need to reset the plastic clips. You need to push the central pin up, so that the dot sticks out the top of the clip about 8mm. Place the clip in the hole on the parcel shelf. Then press the raised bit of the clip down to lock it in place.

Store the tonneau cover correctly in it's bag. So it doesn't hit the shelf. If you can get someone else to operate the roof while you watch to make sure the shelf doesn't interfere.
    Hope that all makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  6. MeGaLoDoN

Hmm I think I kinda get it. I'll try it out later (it's raining now) and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the info! :)

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    It's raining here too. If you need some photos let me know.

8. MeGaLoDoN

Hi Adam,

I couldn't get the tonneau cover to fit in normally as I don't even know how it's supposed to be like. A pic of that would help :D

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Okay, give me a couple of days. Going to be pretty busy over the next few days.

10. MeGaLoDoN

Sure, no worries. Thanks alot!

11. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Okay the rain has stopped & I had a spare 5 minutes.
    Just uploading my pictures to Photobucket.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Okay I've opened my roof halfway to get access.
    Here you cen see my parcel shelf fitted.
    [​IMG]

You can see below the parcel shelf the tonneau cover stored in the boot. It's very close.
    [​IMG]

With the roof open halrway you should be able to lift your shelf out to the side.

To unlock the plactic clips use a key & press down on the dot in the centre of the clip.
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of clip with the centre pin raised into the fitting position.
    [​IMG]

I've removed my retaining clips & pulled the parcel shelf back to reveal the metal retaining brackets.
    [​IMG]

Parcel shelf out.
    [​IMG]

13. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Whilst my parcel shelf was out, I've fitted some self-adhesive fluffy pads (the fluffy side of velcro). To try to reduce rattle noises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuzzy pads fitted.
    [​IMG]

Parcel shelf put back in place. Re-fitting the clips.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps MeGaLoDoN.

14. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    I don't mean to steal Adam's thunder, but...

Maybe this diagram would help? The hooks are fixed to the bulkhead wall of the boot. Note - not all Copens were supplied with a tonneau cover - so they don't all have the hooks.

Attached Files:

15. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I'm not sure those hooks have anything to do with Mega's problem nor what Adam was showing.

Adam, I see you have implemented a little rattle reduction after our recent discussion. The pics certainly give me a good idea of what to do and the ease of parcel shelf removal. Although, why didn't you cut the fluffy disk in half and stick a piece either side of the front hole? or even stick it over the hole and jab a hole through it. Bur seeing that will certainly help me.

16. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Its given me a thought, if the parcel shelf isn't put back, a dog could be put in the boot and it could poke its head up behind the seats and look where it is going. Also be able to pass it scooby snacks as you drive.

17. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    No use for my Dachshund.:D

18. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    but your dachshund could lie on the parcel shelf and be a draft excluded and squeak preventer in one!

Any Copen owner got 3 St Bernards to try it out?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  19. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
  20. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    My humblest apologies :eek: if I missed the point, but this was a response to the following...

I'm guessing - rightly or wrongly - that if the tonneau cover is not seated correctly, then the parcel shelf won't lie flat :think:

The picture he posted http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6838/gopr0711.jpg certainly looks to me like the tonneau is not seated properly...