Roof and boot failure - fixed!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Bassoon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Hello everyone
    My Copen is a 1.3 2009. I got it for a fairly reasonable price as it had had a bump against a post at the centre of the rear.
    I straightened the boot lid and fixed the smashed wing and the car is quite presentable. I did worry that the roof action would be compromised by the small crease above the boot locking mechanism. Two years later no problems - then suddenly both roof and boot failure.
    Reading about the problem was worrying - would have to go back for expensive dealer repair etc.
    Well, I opened and closed the boot dozens of times watching the various motors, catches and micro-switches operate when pressing the inside boot release and pushing the plunger in the boot lid which locks the mechanism. I suddenly realised the lid plunger was not central to the part it was meant to contact in the lower lock mechanism, it seemed it was not being pushed far enough to activate the locking motors. I gave it a very slight bend to put it in a better position and the boot locked immediately. I also noticed the boot was not quite closed properly, the gap being a bit too wide. So I also loosened the two 10mm bolts holding the lower lock mechanism and pushed it further down (a few mm) to tighten the closing.
    I then tested the roof which once again works perfectly.
    I just mention this to show that not every expensive looking problem is what it appears!

APPLEDjerry and AFR0N1 like this.
  2. NigelP

NigelP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    08 Copen 1.3
    Well done! There is often great merit in examining sequential actions in detail to determine exactly what the problem is. Only then can a solution be found. As you said, what looked like a major issue was actually easily rectified. If only all problems were like that!

AFR0N1 likes this.
  3. Mr Michael J Potter

Mr Michael J Potter Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 54 plate
    Have you got any pictures of what you did mine has the same problem many thanks