1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof Alarm. PLS help! I am about to scream!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by inaka_rob, Mar 26, 2014.

1. inaka_rob

inaka_rob Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Just drove my Copen for the first time yesterday. It was sunny, so OF COURSE I had the roof down.
    Today it was raining. Of COURSE I had the roof on. OMFG.
    The open roof alarm goes off if I hit a bump, turn with any G's, shift to roughly. ANYTHING sets off the alarm. I drove 3 km to the gym today, it went off probably 30 times in just that short 6km round trip. Sometimes just a beep, sometimes non-stop and I have to smack the roof latch.
    They are fine. I see there is a TINY metal piece that acts as the sensor. I don't see why it isn't working. Yes the roof is latched tightly. There is NOTHING in boot (trunk).
    I called the dealer that sold it to me. The "promise" they checked that and it was fine and they can not be liable for anything that happens while the car was in transit to me. sounds like bull shit to me.

please tell me there is a quick fix to this. Or a fuse I can pull to disable that alarm.

Love the car btw, minus this murder rage inducing snag.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You have few options.
    Firstly when the beeping starts, does the handbrake light come on? It could be the switch that indicates the hand brake is on could be a bit sticky & is giving a false reading.

Things to try:
    1. tighten the latches a bit more, one of them isn't touching the little metal actuator properly. To do this go to the Features tab at the top of the forum & look at the fix roof rattles thread (third one down).

2. bend out the little metal actuator arm so it gets....erm actuated securely.

3. inaka_rob

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Thanks.
    The handbrake light doesnt come on. It definitely the roof latches. Cause sometimes I have to smack them to make the alarm go off.
    I will try to tighten them. I also heard back from the dealer. Seems they have a trick here in Japan that I didn't find on Copenworld.
    They sell (at the 100 yen store) these little rubber thumb covers, you know... to turn pages faster, or count money or what ever. They sent pictures of where to put it. Basily on the clamp. I guess makes a tighter fit. Its raining still and dark outside so I will tackle this tomorrow. I will post how it goes.

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I've fitted those to mine. They go on the location pins on the leading edge of the roof. Thought there wore only used to reduce rattles.

5. inaka_rob

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Adam, Just looked at my latch mechisim. The one on the left, the one setting off the alarm the most I believe, is already tightened as far at it will go.
    The on of the left. Can't be tightening much more.
    The one on the left I can not even turn with my fingers. But I can see there is no space at the top between the bolt and the bracket, so it seems to have been tightened as much as possible.
    do you think mine has "worn and torn"? Can this be remedied.
    With the alarm going off, I seriously can't drive the car.

EDIT: I put the rubber things on the roof latch. I drove it down the street and back. The alarm didn't go off. Seems to have done the trick for now. I will have to wait until I drive it further and on faster roads.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Did you try bending the little metal actuator out a bit with your nail?

7. inaka_rob

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    My mechanic friend came over today and had a look at it.
    We tried bendning the metal sensors a little. It might help.
    But we realized the alarm is going off for a reason! Its not the seansor.
    It the actual roof.

When you clasp the roof, it doesn't pull tighter at all. The clasp just goes into place. The roof clasp should grip the frame catch and pull itself slightly closer and tighter. It doesn't do this at all, and the catch is as tight as it will go.
    It is like the previous owner stretched the damn thing out or something.

I am going to take it to a Diahatsu dealer tomorrow, whom I have been taking mine and wifes other cars too for years and years. I am going to ask them what they think.
    I found the roof parts online. They are about 300$ for each side.
    They used car dealer I bought the car from said they "checked it" and if its broken it happen in transit.
    Thats BS now that I see that roof doesn't sit as tight as it should. Depending on what my Daihastu dealer says I may demand used dealer I bought the car from buy the parts or pay for whatever fix needs to be down. its more than a faulty sensor.

It was a used car. I know there will be things here and there that are not perfect. I am okay with that. But a roof that doesn't seal.... That should have been disclosed.

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  9. inaka_rob

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    now the car is undriveable with the roof closed.
    The roof ajar alarm is constant I can not get it to shut off at all. and the roof will not close completely.
    The sensor will simply not register the roof is closed.
    Partly because it is such a loose fit, and partly because the sensor just seemed to be worn out.

10. inaka_rob

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Thanks. That might solve have the problem.
    The other half is that the $300 sensor just seems worn out and unable to tell when it is depressed.
    $300 is the price I found on the old parts list someone had posted up here on copen world. Who knows if it is even available anymore and at what cost.

It is raining ALL day today. Tomorrow is my last day of vacation. I am screwed if I cant make it to dealer today or tomorrow. I have a car that I can not drive with the roof closed? My car guy is 45 minutes away and I have no garage near buy that I try to do that "major" roof adjustment. Maybe the rain will give way today for bit.

edit: man what a day. I had to get up early to got to the daihatsu dealer. I tried to find the "second roof adjustment" screw. I didnt see it.
    I will look later. The dealer said "the sensor/catch has been worn out and broken for a while". ie not a recent (after delivery problem).
    they said 400$ to fix it.
    We called the used car dealer. They said eff off. We went to local consumer reports dept. They help when a company screws you over. We were there for over 2 hours. They checked to see if they dealer was part of the "japanese used car dealer union" so that they could mediate. They were not.
    We got the consumer problems people to call the dealer. The dealer said the car passed "shaken". Japanese inspection. So its not their problem. If the top is down, the car is fine. The top does not have to be up to pass shaken test. So other than getting a laywer I have to fix it or pay for it out of pocket to get fixed.

I am angry out of principle. I know buying a car online is a chance. We went to local dealers and the CHEAPEST copen we could find in the same condition was nearly DOUBLE the price. I paid 600,000 yen. Most quotes were were 1,000,000 to 1,300,000 yen. We saved a TON of money. BUT after delivery and new shaken inspection the final price was 800,000. My absolute budget limit. So even though I saved money. I have to pour more than I wanted into this car. Its all good.
    I can jerry rig the sensor for now. Try to tighten the roof with method 2. If I have to fork out the 40,000 yen (400$) then so be it. I still saved thousands of dollars on this car. But the whole idea was to get a car that would save me money over a white plate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Japan)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014