1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing the alternator

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Dom, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Anyone had the alternator off theirs (660) themselves? Finding it a real pain to get it off, access is terrible, drive shaft is in the way of getting any real leverage on the bolts. Any tips?

2. Shahram Azimi Nobar

Shahram Azimi Nobar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3L
    I have no experience in replacing the alternator. I only know the original part number: 27060-97402. Hope this helps.

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Take the right front wheel and wheel arch cover off maybe? You might get better access. I have never owned a 660, so I am not familiar with the procedure.

4. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    For the sake of completeness I ended up buying one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Called a FACOM S.234 1/2" Drive Offset Adaptor
    It allowed me to get a breaker bar on the 14mm bottom bolt and crack it free (it was very overtightened by previous garage who replaced the belt!)
    To free the alternator you have to bend a bit of metal just above the driveshaft area a tiny bit, just to slide the alternator out, it bent back perfectly fine although its probably worth spraying some paint on it in case the layer on it cracks after bending. Its hidden behind the wheel arch liner so wouldn't be visible.
    Ideally you can avoid this by removing the driveshaft like Daihatsu intended but I didn't want to!

Coupon and GuzziMan like this.