Replacing Dash Lights

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by honeyjew, Dec 9, 2009.

1. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the dash lights on the Copen. I think it would be quite nice to change the orange colour into something a little bit m ore interesting. I'm somewhat of a DIY novice, do you think this would this be beyond my ability?

Many thanks in advance

2. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi honeyjew, welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid i don't personally have any experience of changing the lights, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Perhaps someone else may be able to offer advice?

I am, however, about to change the dials on my dashboard for white ones instead of black ones, which I think will make a nice change! I'll post some details when I've finished it.

3. honeyjew

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Did you happen to get those white dials from ebay? I saw those and was rather tempted, but a bit apprehensive about putting them in (and the rev markings were for a 0.8 when I have a 1.3). So I'll look forwards to hearing how you get on.

4. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes, I did buy them from Ebay, but I've since discovered that you can also buy them direct from the supplier here.

I'll post the details as soon as I get around to fitting them. :)

5. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi honeyjew,

changing the bulbs will have no or just a little effect, as the red color comes from the shine-through effect of the dial faces, the original bulbs are just standard white.

I already have fitted the white dials from the aforementioned supplier, I attach some pics.
    Without illumination the letters and digits look brown-redish, perfect fit for my wooden and tan leather interior, but not necessarily for other kind of interiors.

Just discovered that they now also offer the dials in a cream color (instead of white), but unfortunately no pics of this on their website.

Greets,

Andreas

Attached Files:

6. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Some more pics...

Attached Files:

7. honeyjew

Those white-dials look fantastic. They go perfectly with the wood steering wheel and make the orange lights seem rather classy. I contacted Lockwood and asked if they had any plans of making white dials for the 1.3 Copen - they said they had no plans to do so. So that's a no-go as well as changing the dash lights - must find something else.

8. jose_cp

jose_cp Copenworld Newbie

I'm really impressed with these white dials!!!

They look really wonderful!

9. r.d.stillwaters

r.d.stillwaters Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    Dashboard Light

Just noticed all the links regarding dashboard dials and lighting. The lighting has gone out on my one dial. Is there just one bulb to replace?

10. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Only in MPH!?

The white dials look great don't they but you can only get them in the MPH with KPH in the inside?
    I emailed them regarding this but the don't make any with just KPH.:(
    If I want some they will cost £195+VAT+ freight!:eek:
    But if there are 5 people that want them they will do a run for £72.00+VAT+freight.

11. gotham

gotham Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 328i, Mini Cooper S, Copen
    I am keen if we can get a group buy going...