Replacement windscreen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Balaam, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mark Balaam

Mark Balaam Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello, can anyone suggest where I can buy a new Copen 2004 windscreen. It will need to be a replacement the time for repair is now gone. Thanks.

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Try contacting one of the ex Daihatsu dealers
    Daihatsu

3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Have you tried Autoglass ?

4. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    I know it's probably too late for you Mark, but I just got mine replaced with Autoglass. And what an awful experience this has been.
    I wasn't there when it got replaced and they left a lot of scratches around the windscreen area and I believe they left a gap between the windscreen and the roof (see pictures).
    Can I ask you all fellow Copenites, would you be able to send me any pictures of the area where the glass/seal meets the roof? I don't remember how this was originally, but I don't think that a gap there makes any sense.
    I'm in contact with Autoglass and they are sending a senior technician to assess the damage, I'd like to be prepared.
    Can you help?
    Thank you all.

Attached Files:

5. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi

On seeing your pictures it looks like they may have rushed it a bit because in the manual you have to remove the top cowl ventilator louver and the instrument panel which does involve quite a bit of extra work. The battery has also to be removed. Service book pages 13-1 to 13-4. Don’t know if these photos help as this is an original screen.

Bottom off side screen.JPG Bottom near side screen.JPG Top Off side screen.JPG Top Nr side screen.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Roy Copen

Roy Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl
    Autoglass here are working like pigs without hands... They've done the same crappy job on my previous Honda Jazz.
    Even after the second attemp, the job was awfull...plus the price was huge ! "Fortunately", it was paid by my insurance...

7. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Thank you so much @GuzziMan for your quick reply, this helps, but I find the pictures a bit difficult to see. I realise this would be the issue with my pictures too. I don't get a sense of the "depth" of the seal between roof and glass. Have a look at these new pictures where I inserted the ruler in the gap. As you can see, at the top there's like 1.2cm deep void at the top and nearly 1cm at the sides. Surely this is no good for aerodynamics/noise/etc. Do your Copens have such a gap? By looking at your pictures I can see that there's something of a transition, but difficult to ascertain as to how deep that is, if at all.
    Thank you very much for your help anyway, I didn't realise this was described in the service manual, good catch! :clap:

Thank you @Roy Copen for sharing your experience too. I had my CRV's windscreen replaced pretty much at the same time, but the insurance company was a different one and it was done by "Auto Windscreens" who sent a local company to install (can't remember the name) Their professionalism was impressive, but we must admit that it may be simpler to do a CRV (tens of thousands on the road in the UK) than a Copen (hundreds by now in the UK?) without the space limitations that @GuzziMan described.

Attached Files:

8. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    @GuzziMan, would you be able to share the service manual you mentioned in the previous post? I've looked at the ones I have (the ones available within the "Resources" section) and can't find that information in either of them. Do you have a digital copy that you can share with us? That would be highly appreciated. Thank you again for your help.

9. Roy Copen

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl
    I've to take some pictures of mine, but it seems like the gasket on yours is not the same as OEM...

My Copen's windscreen was replaced by Carglass and they do a good job (except 2 scratches...) plus the instal the same gasket as OEM, in the same position as OEM too.

10. Roy Copen

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl
    Here are some fresh pics :

20220923_171408.jpg
    20220923_171416.jpg 20220923_171430.jpg 20220923_171442.jpg 20220923_171501.jpg

11. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi

Just measured the gaps with a Vernier and the varying widths all-round the screen are between 3.5 mm to 4 mm. The depth of the gap is a consistent 4 mm.

We downloaded the whole of the manuals from the resources site and printed it off and hold it in a couple of large lever arch files!! The bit you need to look at is in the Daihatsu Copen Chassis Service Manual No 9842 section (I) as in Irene. My mistake I3-1 to I3-4.

Hope this helps

Foot note, It would make sense to seek out a body shop repair business and for them to replace a windscreen as they would do it to factory spec.

12. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    @GuzziMan, thank you very much for your help. This makes a lot of sense. Autoglass is coming on Thursday 29/09 to inspect.
    I'll be armed with this information, thank you so much.

13. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
  14. Roy Copen

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl
    You're welcome ! I hope it'll help you for the discussion with Autoglass !

15. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Just as an update, a guy from Autoglass came. He said he had 22 years experience and he replaced the glass entirely again (what a waste, I know... :() . He was very apologetic about his colleague's work.
    They are going to send me details on how to get the scratches/paint fixed, but the gap is now reduced to pretty similar dimensios like @GuzziMan described. Thank you @Roy Copen too.
    It is such a pleasure being a member of this community. Thank you all. :rock:

16. Roy Copen

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl
    Great news ! Glad to help, that's why this forum exist ;-)

17. David Berry

David Berry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    I hope Autoglass cover the paintshop repairs for you.