1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote roof operation.

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by thewiltshirehardys, May 30, 2013.

1. thewiltshirehardys

thewiltshirehardys Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    mrs. 2004 copen vivid
    mr.. 1959 morris minor
    I have seen a couple of videos showing the roof being opened remotely.
    Has anyone any experience of the mod?
    rob

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    There is a kit available to convert the roof to remote opening. It was for sale in Japan, I'm sure there is a thread on here about it.
    Some alarms like cobra and Clifford have an extra accessory button which should be possible to connect into the roof circuit to open it remotely. You'd have to park the car with the roof latches open though.

Thinking about it the Japanese roof kit might have been to open the roof while driving and not open it remotely.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That's a very nice looking Copen in that video. The colour with the black bonnet, plus the Mag alloys, one of the nicest I've seen.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I've not really looked into it in too much details, but opening and closing whilst driving should be easy -just disconnect the handbrake sensor cable and speed cable from the roof ecu in the boot. However, whether is it advisable, is another matter! It won't take much speed to but a heavy load (due to the wind) on the mechanism.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the risk.

Rex.

6. thewiltshirehardys

thewiltshirehardys Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    mrs. 2004 copen vivid
    mr.. 1959 morris minor
    Thanks for the feedback. I will pursue the supplier suggested. I can assure anyone reading that I have very little interest in opening whilst driving. I just think being able to open the top from afar would be cool. (Although I cant imagine remote operation of the roof clamps would happen)
    rob

7. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    If you haven't already done it put that Japanese site through google translate for better info.
    The price of the auto roof closer is about £206 plus postage and import fees. Before buying that I would look into the possibility of an alarm with an accessory button. Consulting an auto electrician might be an idea.

8. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    Roof whilst driving

This can be done, you need to remove the centre console, theres 3 wires thick red, thin red & clear. Cut thin red and extend wire then attach to body of car. Earth.

Tricky to do, unless your auto electrician. Anyway besides doing this, there's not much point as you'd need to travel at speeds of less than 10mph as to not to damage mechanism. ie, that is the reason why the car needs to at a rest.

hope this helps.

9. joeleow

joeleow Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen (red) and Lexus IS250 (white)
    With the Takeoff kit, does it mean there is no need to mod the ECU?
    Can the roof open without starting the engine too?

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I don't normally have to start the engine to raise / lower the top.
    The roof ECU does monitor the battery voltage and if it is low, it won't operate the roof. So maybe the battery is on the way out.

Rex.

11. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I never operate the roof if the engine isn't running.
    In the owners handbook it states:

12. joeleow

Car(s):
    Strange... my roof can't work without starting the engine first... something wrong? :think:

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Put the battery on charge, fully charge it up and then try the roof.
    My roof opens with or without the engine running but to keep the strain off the battery I normally operate it with the engine running.

14. joeleow

Car(s):
    How do I do this DaG?

15. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    You need a battery charger.
    Disconnect one of the battery terminals and then put it on charge. When it's fully charged see if the roof operates without the engine running.
    While it is better to operate the roof with the engine running there could come a time when you want to perhaps close the roof and the car won't start. So it's better if you can close it without the engine.

16. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    That's fair comment Adam. All I can say that it has never caused me a problem. :)

Looking at the wiring diagram, there is a 30A fuse that supplies the roof ecu / pump (same value as supplies the electric windows). In my opinion it is not a massive load on the battery (operating current is probably less that 20A).

As the ecu monitors the battery voltage before allowing the roof to operate, if it thinks it is oaky, I don't worry. :D Or maybe I'm just lucky with the battery... (still the original) ;)

Going off topic even more....
    I have had a flat battery twice.
    First time was when I flooded the engine. (The 1.3 does not like starting from cold, moving a few meters then being turned off!)
    Second time when I left the boot open over night (in the garage ;)) I think this is because the ecu stays powered up when the boot is open.

Rex.

17. joeleow

Car(s):
    Not very familiar with this but isn't the battery being charged all the time while the car is running?

Does this mean that my battery is already weak and due for a change soon?

18. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The battery is trickle charged from the alternator which in most situations is enough to keep it charged up.
    However in winter you use the headlights heater blower, heated seats, etc much more which puts a bigger strain on the battery. As the battery gets older it might need an occasional boost from a battery charger. I've got one in the garage but have never used it on the Copen. My car is five years old but I think my battery is newer.
    If your car starts easily with the starter motor spinning well and with no sluggishness then the battery is probably ok.
    In the uk most car accessory dealers that sell batteries will test your battery by doing a load test.

19. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    A load test is different to just measuring the voltage of the battery?

20. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Yip. Totally different test. Load test is the only way to really gauge battery status.