Recommend me some replacement wheel nuts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alz2605, Jan 5, 2014.

1. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Since getting the alloys refurbed the rusty wheel nuts really let the look of the Copen down. I ordered a set off of eBay which stated they fitted a Daihatsu Copen but they are over double the length of the originals & therefore don't look great sticking out so far.

I then read on here that someone bought a set of Mazda MX5 wheel nuts. So I searched for them & bought a set. Unfortunately I didn't read the description correctly & ended up with a set of open ended nuts.

I've searched online for a set of closed ended chrome nuts but just can't find ones at the right size.

Can anyone give me a link to the correct size? I don't feel I trust my judgement now after buying 2 incorrect sets :think:

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  3. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    I originally went to Mazda to get some and they wanted over £100 for a full set. Maybe worth holding out til some come up on ebay, or maybe try an MX5 forum to see if someone has a set they will sell you.

4. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I paid about £20 for a full set on eBay so it probably is worth seeing if any more come up!

5. nertman

nertman Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    chrome nuts

Should be able to pick up a set for you from one of the local mazda dealers, paid a tenner for the last lot

6. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    I just recently bought a set of 16 original replacement nuts direct from the designated Daihatsu parts dealer here in Melbourne, AUS and they were sent out from Japan, minimal cost of about $2 each. Easy as pie. Part number 9004911070 (each). Why bother with ebay hit and miss?

7. alz2605

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've temporarily but on the open ended nuts & I rather like the chunky industrial look they have.

I put them on as I planned on taking the original nuts to get chrome plated but the open ended nuts are looking better to me each time I see them.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

8. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Nah, don't rate that look as much chop. Awkward.

9. alz2605

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Well after hunting high and low for a decent set of reasonably priced replacement wheel nuts I had a little eureka moment this week & thought why don't I just spray paint the tops of my originals.

[​IMG]

from left to right my tarnished nuts, to sanded, to primed, to painted & lacquered.

Hopefully they'll last ok & it certainly beats paying £90 to get them chrome plated or £100 for a new set of MX5 ones.

10. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Looking good. I was thinking of painting mine. But I wondered how resilient the paint will be to taking the nuts on and off. Especially garages with pneumatic guns and thought would it be worth the effort in the long run if I go for a tyre change and the paint is ripped off :(
    I know garages won't treat them lovingly, they just drop/throw them on the floor.

Which silver did you use?

11. alz2605

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Its aluminium spay. I had the exact same thoughts as you but in reality how often do we take our wheels off? I've padded out a wheel brace so I can take off my painted nuts prior to a garage visit & put on the plain steel ones.

If I have to call out the RAC to a puncture it wont take long to spray over any paint damage to a couple of nuts. When you think of it its only the sides of the nuts that should get the force applied to & not the tops . In theory any way :think:

Any way time will tell!