Rear quarter windows not going down

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Adam K, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Had the roof down this morning on the way to work, lovely.
    Thought I go for a spin at dinner time again. Car was hot from sitting in the sun.
    Boot lid opened, front windows went down. The rear ones didn't. So the roof stopped opening.
    So I closed everything back up. Then pressed the internal boot release to reset the system.
    Then tried to open the roof again. This time it all worked fine. It also closed back up okay.
    So when I finished work, I tried to put the roof down again. The rear windows didn't go down again. Doh! I reset the system & it all worked again.

I'm wondering if the heat is effecting something.
    Anyone had a similar problem?

Anyone know where the switch is that lowers the windows during the roof opening system?
    I know the Raise rear window switch is at the top of the front window.

2. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    rear quater windows not going down

hi adam

just had a similuar problem today:(. The car had been parked on the drive all day in the hot sun shine. After a few resets all worked fine,went to tesco came back, went to put the roof back up, boot lifted ,it thought about it for a few seconds then it all worked fine, Must be the heat!!!!!!:D

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm wondering if it's an age related sensor or window ecu issue.

4. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Adam,

From looking through the circuit diagram, there does not seem to be a 'window down' sensor. So, how does the ecu know if the windows are up or down? I think it doesn't know! So when you put the roof up, it first drives the windows down and monitors the window motor current and sees the rise in current when the motor stalls.

I expect you already know, but there are 2 ECUs in the boot. One of them controls the windows. This one is located on the drivers side towards the front of the car (you have to remove the carpet). I would check the connectors for signs of corrosion - (could water have got into the boot?).

Also I see there is a temperature sensor on the hydraulic roof pump. If it happens again, maybe try opening the boot for a few minutes - to let it cool down.

Let us know how you get on.

Rex.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Excellent tips Rex.
    I tried looking through the manual. The wiring diagram just looked like a bunch of lines.

I'm definatly going to take a look at that window ECU.

6. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    Mine does this occasionally, but it just seems to be the quarter lights getting a bit stuck when the rubber softens in hot weather. I've managed to correct it a couple of times by given them a gentle push with my hand to get them started.

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Picures of the Window CPU HERE

Rex.

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I did find the window ECU, looked all nice & clean. No evidence of water ingress.
    Gave the connectors & poke. Couldn't see any loose connections.
    Problem hasn't happen again though. Even when it was really hot in the car.