1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear lights

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Vince Manchester, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Vince Manchester

Vince Manchester Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Does anyone know how to remove the rear tail light units and also the rear indicator/ reverse light? I need to replace mine as the lenses are cracked. Any help with locating these parts would also be appreciated. Thanks

2. Cyman45

Cyman45 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc
    The rear reverse light, On mine, was a real pain the 1st time i tried to remove it. You have to go from the back of the bumper, you will feel the plastic holding mold of the assemble, on either side of this are metal push in clips that need to be pushed in together to release the light unit.
    I ended up having to remove the rear wheel and the wheel arch plastic protector to get to it and had to use a lot of pressure to get the clips released. Once the unit came free i found it was being held in by a load of dead leaves and mud. but now releases freely.

The tail lights are worse, For me at least, if you look at the black plastic molding there is a small pop out disc, remove this and undo the retaining bolt. the unit is help in by 2 plastic pins at the rear of the assembly, It states that you should use a spatchuler wrapped in cloth pushed in between the light unit on body work to prise the light unit forward to unclip it. I thought i was going to shatter the light unit just trying to remove it from the clips one clip snapped but the unit finally came free.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Vince Manchester likes this.
  3. Vince Manchester

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks for the info. At least I now know what to expect.

4. thecopenator

thecopenator Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Also got a real problem tried to get the rear light assembly unit out but it is so tight ...yep the spatula method... what a waste of effort more likely to break the spatula before it comes out. Did you have any luck ... got any tips or advice I need to get to the indicators / fog light as the wires seem loose and may have a blown bulb.

5. thecopenator

thecopenator Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Also got a real problem tried to get the rear light assembly unit out but it is so tight ...yep the spatula method... what a waste of effort more likely to break the spatula before it comes out. Did you have any luck ... got any tips or advice I need to get to the indicators / fog light as the wires seem loose and may have a blown bulb.

6. Cyman45

Cyman45 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc
    It's a real pain to get it to release off it's retaining clips just persevere and don't get mad with it, smash the lense unit and your in for a nightmare. i tried again after leaving it for a day and just kept applying a bit more pressure each attempt. It finally popped out but 1 clip snapped no real biggy as the other clip and securing bolt keeps it in place.

7. Vince Manchester

Car(s):
    Copen
    The rear light came out fairly easily, not tried the indicator yet , as I am still trying to locate a 2nd hand unit, the new ones are too expensive!

8. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    Do try gaz0794 on EBay for 2nd hand Copen parts.

9. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen