1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Brake Drums.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Mr Snapper, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mr Snapper

Mr Snapper Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Should the drum just come off after removing the wheel?

I've tried taping with a heavy hammer all round and it's doing nothing. Can't think of what else to try.

Thanks.

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Wow, that’s frightening ! If that was the case, what do you think holds it all together when you’re doing 70mph down the motorway ?

There’s a large castellated nut that’s torqued up to the knackers and prevented from budging by a split pin. Fortunately, it’s hidden from bodgers under a metal cap right in the centre of the wheel hub.

Please take it to a mechanic though.

AFR0N1 likes this.
  3. Mr Snapper

Mr Snapper Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Well, thanks ever so much for that insight. Really helpful.

30+ years since I last had a car and was told that rear brakes are somewhat different now. And in some cases they seem to be.

Yes, I managed to spot the centre cover, no doubt hiding the castellated mounting nut - complete with split pin - I should imagine. The cover is pretty rusted on. I'll see how I can bodge it off.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll let you know what results. Oh, I did actually take it to a mechanic before hand.

Thanks.

4. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    They’re still drum brakes on the Copen hence my concern at your question. In essence, the wheel bolts to the drum which in turn contains the friction linings that slow the car down when the brakes are applied and the shoes open to contact the inside of the drum. The big eff off nut, holds it all to the wheel hub which allows the wheel to rotate (when it’s not being braked obviously).

Very old school technology but it works well, particularly on light cars like the Copen. Disks do the real work up front.

Edit - It’s actually what @jez77 says below, although the big eff off nut is still quite important. I’ll get my coat.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  5. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I haven't looked at the Copen but most of the other cars I've had with drum brakes were only held on with the wheel nuts.
    They often have a couple of thread on the face of the drum you can screw a bolt into that will push the drum off. Make sure you have the handbrake off, that would be an embarrassing mistake :)

Salieri likes this.
  6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    You are correct @jez77. It’s been 30+ years since I changed brake shoes too !

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    There should be a hole on the back of the mounting plate which will allow manipulating the automatic retention system.
    As far as I know, if you do not release the tension first, the brake shoes will prevent taking the drum off