1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle from Engine - 660cc

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by l880k, Jan 18, 2021.

1. l880k

l880k Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen L880K
    Hi everyone, new member here - owner of a red 2004 Copen L880K, with 48k miles on the clock, for the last few years and really enjoying it!

Was driving my car last month and after stopping at a red light, I accelerated hard (up to 4-5k RPM in first gear) once the light turned green and heard some metal on metal sounds shortly after taking off - I just presumed I drove over something metal - forgot about it until about a mile down the road once I was at work and heard a rattle coming from my engine.

The rattle seems to get worse as I accelerate. Not entirely sure what this could be, perhaps the timing chain has stretched and is slapping around in the engine - but that wouldn't explain the metal on metal noises I heard when I took off that time...
    I currently have the valve cover off and the chain looks good but he tensioner seems to be pretty maxed out.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be or suggest anything else I could check?
    Much appreciated and thanks!