Radiator supplier

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Silver Rollerskate, May 23, 2014.

1. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

Hi All,

I seem only to write threads in the Problems, Fixes, Tips section!

My Copen is in the garage still. I've had the head gasket replaced, pressure tested etc. A new water pump fitted also.
    There still seems to be a leak, which might be from the radiator. Hopefully some Radweld will be all that's need. If not it looks like a new radiator might be the solution.

Does anybody know where I could get one (at a reasonable price!!)

2. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I think a lot of people will cringe at the thought of you using radweld. I've watched a you tube clip where the mechanic had took a head off and other parts> I think a failed head gasket but cannot remember now. He showed a build up of crap that he put down to radweld (or what ever make it was) as the car owner had originally used it. He had to spend some time cleaning this off, to the additional expense of the owner. The top hose of the rad had this gunk build up but the bottom outlet didn't. hence it was probably not just part of the system. His worry was it could block or cause restriction in places more than you want it to.

I think getting a secondhand rad is probably risky as its probably as old as yours and close to its last legs.

edit: this is what I watched. He's far more experienced than me for me to just poo poo his thoughts on the product. look at 5:35 mins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76GpMD4LIwY

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Back in the day they used to break an egg or two into the radiator as a cheap alternative to rad weld.

4. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

I have managed to find a company that has repaired my radiator :)
    They have carried out a recore. There was a chance that the tanks were brittle and may have also needed to be replace. Luckily it turned out that only the recore was required. Total cost including delivery - £195. Cost of new radiator - £500.;)