1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rad cooling fan

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by DaG, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi all.
    My 1.3 Copen's cooling fan seems to come on more often than any other car I've owned. Practically as soon as I slow down and stop it kicks in though only for a few seconds. Tonight it came on as I was driving slowly onto my drive, I wasn't even stationary.
    Does anybody know if this is normal for the 1.3? The temp gauge never gets much above half ways it doesn't appear to be over heating.

2. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

I dont know about the 1.3 but the 600 does come on very regularly, but the temp gauge is always on half - its nothing to worry about - been like that for about 10 years - happens more when the aircon is on and in hot weather - its an automatic fan, so dont worry.

3. Adnan

Adnan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    How do I tell if its on or not ? I agree with dwayner about the 600s. The radiator gets red hot even after 5 mins drive and the temp gauge doesn't go past mid point. I last tried to open the radiator cap after a small drive and the hot water came flying out off the radiator, luckily I was quick enough to turn the cap back off otherwise I would had a burnt sausage face ;)

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You'll definitely hear the whirring of the fan & fan motor. As Dwayner says you'll hear it more with the air-con on.

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ok all thanks for the replies.
    I've just realised that since I bought the car I haven't checked the water level. I'll check it tomorrow but from the comments here it looks like the fan switch is set by Daihatsu to switch the fan on at the smallest temp rise above normal.

6. Khalid

Khalid Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Sirion Rally II, Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Being relatively new to Copens, I have noticed how the radiator fan on the Copen 1.3 runs for ages. The temp gauge will show half way and the fan will be on for a lengthy time. This is for a lot longer than my Sirion Rally II.

Once the Copen 1.3 moves and cooler outside air flows through the grill the fan does turn off. I've been paying attention to when the fan comes on and goes off.

Today I was parked up facing a wall, about 30cm away from the front of the car. The radiator fan came on and it was on for atleast 5mins and then I could smell something burn, like a plastic smell... instantly I knew it was related to the engine radiator fan! I immediately reversed the car and drove about 10 meters then then the fan turned off and the smell or burning plastic soon dissipated.

It's dark and it's been raining a lot so I've not been able to investigate what exactly could have been burning. The outside temperature is really cool at the moment in single figures and this what happens to my Copen 1.3. I dread to think what would happen to it in summer traffic.

Anyone experiencing anything simmilar?

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Is the AC turned on? If so, then the fan also runs quite often.
    Mine never runs in the winter, only in summer, above 25°C outside temperature the water temperature rises near 100°C which triggers the fan

8. Khalid

Khalid Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Sirion Rally II, Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    The A/C is not on. I understand that when it is on the radiator fan is triggered on.

Firstly, I realised that the radiator expansion tank top was on the wrong way round as the pull bit needs to be facing forward.

This may have been causing some sort of issue as I had to put in about 2 liters of ready mixed anti-freeze in the radiator and the expansion tank.

I've been monitoring my Scanguage II and for now the fan appears to be working efficiently, even in standstill.