1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puzzling noise when getting going

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by copenforbusiness, Sep 23, 2016.

1. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Hello fellow Copen owners. I've just bought my dream car, I'm chuffed to bits! It's an 08 so 1.3 engine.
    I'll be posting stuff about all the remedial work that I intend to do on it, but let's start first with an intriguing issue I've found.
    OK, so I start the car and everything is fine (other than the noise from the timing chain, but that's something for a separate thread). It doesn't matter whether I remain static for a while or I go straight away, as soon as the car starts to move forwards for the first time it would make a noise, more like a "quiet scream", for a second or so, kind of the sound that a battery-powered drill/screwdriver does when in operation.
    Then, once it's done this, I can stop a traffic lights, traffic, etc. and it won't do it again until I stop the engine, let it rest for a short while and start it again... puzzling, uh?
    I can't figure this out. Has anybody experienced anything similar? I'll keep you posted of progress (if any).
    Cheers.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    A video or audio file would be of help, I cannot quite imagine what kind of noise it is supposed to be

copenforbusiness likes this.
  3. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Possibly a belt slipping or the alternator bearing?

4. Neil50

Neil50 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen, yellow red leather interior
    2006 525d BMW 5 Series Touring MSport
    Audi A2
    High pitch normally comes from belts. Bit strange though that it only does it when initially moving and not while on tick over. Maybe it could be something binding on the wheels as it only happens on initial pull away and then no bind until you have stopped and allowed it to settle and rebind. Can sometimes happen with sticky brakes, normally if the car hasn't been moved for a while.

5. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Sticky starter motor?

6. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Wow, that was a very quick and extensive response. Many thanks guys/gals!
    All good alternatives, although I'm more inclined towards Shane's suggestion as the sound is kinda electro/mechanic and only happens at the onset of every "trip". I'll investigate further and let you know.
    Many thanks again.

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi,
    Mine has always made this noise when the ignition is first turned on. I always assumed it was the fuel pump priming the injection system. I guess you could remove the pump fuse to confirm.

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    Is it this high pitched sound before the engine starts?

Lode and copenforbusiness like this.
  9. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Id say that was the fuel pump.
    When the cars been sitting for a while the fuel lines loose pressure and the pump has to work a bit to get it back up.
    It may be normal although I've never noticed it on my car but most of the time the radio comes on which will drown out the sound anyway.

10. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Thanks all. I haven't heard this in any other car before. I managed to get it on camera. In between the two videos the engine was switched off and restarted. I guess it would let you more puzzled than before... :eek::eek:
    The noise can be heard as much inside than outside. Bear with me whilst trying to upload these videos... :rolleyes:

11. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Noise from outside:

Noise from inside (after restarting):

12. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    sounds like something (electric motor?) spinning up then slowing down again, or a servo moving across.

You could try pulling 1 fuse at a time, see if it still does it, if it does replace fuse and remove another 1. if 1 fuse stops it then you've narrowed it down to being something in that fuse's circuit.

13. Salieri

Car(s):
    Does the roof still work?
    I agree with Binz, it sounds like some kind of electric motor. Maybe its still the starter motor?

14. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    If it was the starter motor not disengaging properly, possibly you wouldn't get the noise on a bump start down a hill because you wouldn't be using it..?

Salieri and copenforbusiness like this.
  15. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Only a question...
    Is there enough oil in the steering gear tank

:wasntme: maybe chain,

how old is your car?

the only way you find it, is....

plug your head under the bonnet and let another mate start the engine.;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  16. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    So, as mentioned the chain has been making noise for a while (not the one on this thread) and would need replacing. I've been quoted £250 just on parts for the chain kit. AND the engine has 130k miles on the clock. I've found a replacement engine with 45k miles for less than that and I've decided that the best avenue would be to replace the lot. Engine comes with all the ancillary components so chances are that both noises will disappear with the swap. Wish me luck! Tuesday my Copen goes under the knife... :sweating::sweating:

P.S. Has any of you gone through an engine swap in your precious Copen? If so, any hints, tips, etc. Will be highly appreciated.

17. Salieri

Car(s):
    Nice catch, seems like a bargain :D

18. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    More on the sound. After replacing the engine the sound remained... :mad:, so I've followed Binz advice (safer than welz's suggestion :giggle:) and started pulling fuses and relays. It turns out the sound is caused by the ABS pump :eek:.
    Now the fun begins to understand why it does it. In theory the pump would only energise when there is a loss of pressure after the ABS valve releases when ABS intervention is required. I haven't tried the breaks hard enough yet but will do tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestion?

19. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    i'm not jesus and can look in your car..:cool: from internet..sorry.

20. Salieri

Car(s):
    Is your brake fluid topped off and in good condition, when did you bleed the brakes the last time? Maybe its air in the system