Problem with reverse gear

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tim Matthews, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Tim Matthews

Tim Matthews Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    VW Fox
    Hi folks,

'Lil Devil is having trouble reversing. Everytime you put the stick in reverse, it feels like its gone into gear but then when you move away you find it actually isn't in gear probably and the car makes a lovely, grindy, whining noise. Then, you have you put the clutch down and shove the gear into reverse proper.

Has anyone else ever come across a problem similar to this one? Is it a common thing with Copens?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Tim

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Yeah, it happens the odd time for me. I had to make the clutch hit the floor to fully lock it in

3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    It happens on mine occasionally but I just release the clutch and deselect reverse. I don’t think the synchromesh is such a priority for reverse gear.

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Change your gear oil to a good 75W90 GL-4(+)
    Grease the shifter links under the car with white lithium grease/chain spray
    Shift into third before shifting into reverse

At least that is what I do :D

5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    You change your gearbox oil and grease the linkages each time you need reverse!

6. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    by what I've just read, does that mean people don't use their clutch before trying to engage reverse? I'd assume you have to if the engine was running unless you like to jolt into reversing.

I find all gears don't mesh on the odd occasion if the engine isn't running or its the first selection after starting. Not that I mean while travelling in 4th it doesn't go into 5th, but on the rare occasion I wiggle the gear stick and try it in different gears.

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Yes. I love my car :D

8. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I always use the clutch, hence when I feel too much resistance trying to get reverse I release it (“it” being the clutch) and try again. Never fails.

However, for the sake of completeness, I never use the clutch in my BMW as a nice German chappie lives in the gearbox and does it all for me. They even removed the clutch pedal so I don’t get confused.