Problem opening trunk with key fob remote

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by baobab68, Aug 17, 2016.

1. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Hi all

Starting to have a little problem and thought I would post here and see what others think.

I've always been able to open my 659CC Copen's trunk by holding down the 'unlock' button on the remote.

Lately (about 10 days) this has started to become a problem. It mostly will unlock the doors ok, though occasionally I need to use the actual key. But more often than not, I now need to open the centre console and press the trunk unlock button as the keyfob won't unlock the trunk.

I'm not sure if the problem is a dodgy unlock button on the remote (maybe the long press doesn't maintain contact inside the remote well enough to send the long signal to the trunk?) or if there's something going amiss in the trunk receiver.

I haven't yet tried the only fix I can think of: replacing the battery in the remote, which I haven't yet done in the two years I've owned the car.

Anyone think that this will fix it, or have suggestions as to what else might be going wrong? The other scary thing is that if the remote dies while the car is locked, unlocking with the key doesn't appear to disengage the engine immobiliser.

Thoughts?

bao

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    My boot has never opened with the remote :cry: but I would try a new battery in the remote first. My remote started not working intermittently and it was just the battery. I changed it when I got stranded in a car park with the alarm going off because I opened the door with the key :banghead:

3. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yep, likely to be the battery, not enough juice for a prolonged key press.

4. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Agreed - battery
    Same symptoms
    Weirdly the battery tag was soldered or welded on, it will come away with some persuasion, then a standard replacement works fine

5. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Sure enough, replaced the battery and all is good again, should have done it ages ago, cost me AUD$2.95, bargain!

6. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Haha - I did exactly the same thing, I was locking it manually (actually, not bothering at all) for several weeks, expecting the worst - that the fob was broken. I even looked at a few replacement key websites
    then 'Sure enough, replaced the battery and all was good again, should have done it ages before, cost me HK$2, bargain!'

7. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Cos I use my car for work and my gear is in the trunk, three to five stops a day, open close open close, I've actually worried about wearing something out!!

8. miller

miller Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Evo 1RS, E28 M535i
    My car just came with a key and no fob....I presume this is something I can buy/replaceable but how to go about it?

9. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    You can get a replacement at a daihatsu dealer (expensive). I think it is possible to buy a used one off ebay and reprogram it, but I do not exactly know how

miller likes this.
  10. miller

miller Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Evo 1RS, E28 M535i
    Thanks Salieri....ill investigate further. My nearest main dealer is 60miles away, ill buzz them this morning for a chat!