1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential newby

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kwakman, May 18, 2010.

1. kwakman

kwakman Copenworld Newbie

Hi all, currently reading as much as I can about copen's before purchasing. I am looking at getting one as a fun alternative to riding as due to long term illness the wife isn't too happy at the thought of me getting back in the saddle! not looking for a sports car just something thats fun and could at a pinch carry a couple of nights camping gear for one, narrowed it down to this or a smart roadster but am definitely leaning towards a 1.3 copen. Probably be asking loads of questions over the next couple of weeks.
    Regards
    Kwakman

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello kwakman,

I'm sure somebody said somewhere, a Copen is as close as you can get to riding a bike with 4 wheels. It's not really a car - more like a road legal go-cart.

Some of the members on this site also have bikes, so I hope they will give you their comments.

One thing that surprised me, was how much space there is in the boot with the roof down. Now, I know your not suppose to but.... if you are careful there is plenty of room between the back window and the roof when it is folded in the boot. Just make sure nothing hard touched the glass and eventing is out before putting the roof up!

To me, there is no comparison to the smart, but then I am biased!

Rex.

3. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Welcome to the site, and I hope you find some useful information here. There are plenty of links to reviews on the features page which might help.

4. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    I think that might have been my other half, who posts on here occasionally; he rides a Harley Davidson (as a matter of fact we've just got back from a week's holiday in Devon on it), but he also loves the Copen. I drive the Copen because I'm no good at riding a motorbike - I'd much rather sit on the pillion and enjoy it, and let him do the work ;) - but if you asked me to choose between the two I would struggle.

They're both a lot of fun in their own ways, and I can see the similarities between driving the Copen and riding a bike - they both give you a lot more feedback from the road than your average car, and they both make the journey an enjoyable part of the event, as opposed to being something you have to do to get there.

I do like having a car that makes people look twice, but the bike does that too...oh, I dunno. They're both fun. I suppose we'll just have to keep them both...!

5. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Welcome kwakman.

I was a biker too. I had to give it up when the family arrived due to practical and financial reasons. I couldn't afford a bike and a car at the time.

When I got around to buying another bike the (now adult) family weren't happy. The compromise was the Copen.

As Pickachu said, there are similarities. One major advantage though is that you can enjoy the Copen without a helmet and bikers clothing.

Today was a scorching day. We were out for a drive in the Copen, short sleeved shirt and the sun beaming down. It's a really enjoyable way to travel..
    I'm sure you would miss the bike but the Copen is a great substitute.

M.

6. kwakman

kwakman Copenworld Newbie

Well, i've gone and done it. I picked up a 07 Copen on Tuesday night. Metallic gold (would describe as a champagne colour myself). First time I had seen one up close and loved it, drove it home and am very impressed it all feels a lot tighter and well built than I imagined. If I can no longer ride this is definitely the car for me. It actually belonged to a member of the site Weeman but he had already traded it in before I got to it.

BUT THERE IS ONE BIG PROBLEM which means the car may have to go back and my search will start again. When I collected the car I was given 2 grey keys and thought great both keys present. Read the handbook yesterday which states there are 3 keys including a black master key. Weeman was good enough to have a chat over the phone with me last night and assured me that all three keys were with the car. I have spoken to the dealer this morning who says they will TRY to track the key down. I am afraid that I would not be satisfied knowing that the master key has gone missing while at the dealers and do not think they would be too thrilled with the idea of fitting me a full new lockset so fingers crossed it turns up in the next couple of days.

Sorry for rambling on a bit.

Kwakman