Potential New Owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by archiebald, Nov 9, 2014.

1. archiebald

archiebald Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Nissan Landy
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Hi,
    I have lived in Nagano in Japan many years, used to own a Suzuki Cappuccino many years ago and want to get back to some open top motoring. Now we have a Suzuki Swift Sport which we are thinking to trade for the new 2014 Copen.
    I had a test drive in the 5MT version on Saturday and have arranged a test in the AT version next week. I know the manual is more sporty, but I am interested to see how good the powershift auto is, and I am now of an age where absolute sports driving is not essential. Any feedback on the Powershift Auto would be welcome

If I go for the Copen, then it will be my wife's and mine for the next three years then we will pass it to my daughter when she graduates and likely replace it with a Mazda MX5 for ourselves.

2. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    lucky you to have them available - wish they were over here....
    I think being a manual is part of the fun of the copen yet with the new model you get better economy from the auto - what a shame.

3. archiebald

archiebald Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Nissan Landy
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Very true about the manual vs auto, but I am curious about the powershift functionality of the auto gearbox. If auto function can be acceptably overridden with no kick-down or sudden gear changes half way round a corner then it might not be so bad.

Generally the auto gearboxes on other K-cars I have driven are pretty rubbish and are especially bad when combined with a turbo as the small engine / gearbox combination just can't decide what gear to stay in.

Having said that, I want to try out this powershift auto with an open mind before deciding.