Possibly Sellling a Copen - advise please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soc, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi guys

I am seriously thinking of parting with my beloved Copen. I want to know when would be the best time of year to sell it (Spring?) and what is the going rate for a 1.3 2008/9, totally standard, 47K miles full service history, in Grey/blue example. Also, where is the best place to advertise it?

I have spent a lot of time under sealing and making the car as immaculate as possible.

I will not let it go for silly money.

Any help, as always appreciated

Thanks

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Soc,

I've just bought mine and it looks like autotrader has pretty much got the monopoly on used car adverts these days. There are currently around 20 Copen for sale and the ads will give you a flavour of the current prices. The odd few that I found on other sites such as pistonheads or eBay were on autotrader as well.

Convertible prices are usually stronger in spring but the Copen is a rare car and I suspect the values don't fluctuate as much as more mass market alternatives such as the Peugeots, Maxdas, etc.

Of course, you could always list it on this site which would help avoid time wasters.

Hope this helps.

3. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    Apart from Copenworld (Emma123 was looking for a Copen a while back), you might like to try Gumtree first. Not that I've ever used it, but I believe it's free.

If that doesn't work, then Autotrader is the first point of call, followed by ebay, perhaps. Both sites charge and Autotrader is the more respected. Certainly an advert in March/April should catch the eye of anyone looking for a 'summer' car.

As to some sort of guide on price, you can put your details into Autotrader (under the 'sell my car' tab) and that will give you what I think must a minimum figure. Confused.com also has a car valuation page which always seems to come out higher than Autotrader.

4. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
  5. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Whats wrong Soc?
    You have put quite some effort into the car, so why sell it?
    Convertible season has begun, I have already driven topless (not shirtless) today :D

6. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Salieri, Yes your right I have done a lot of work to my Copen and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Its a wonderful little car and unfortunately I just love taking a car giving it some love and attention and them selling it to someone to enjoy. I have done all the work and the car is in near perfect condition. Who ever buys this little car will be very lucky.

I have owned many cars such as the Figaro, PAO, S-Cargo, Alfa boat tail spider etc and I have done all the same to them all. Restored them fully and then went onto the next project.

I also I am not finding the time to drive it as much as I like due to work and life commitments.

Let someone else enjoy it fully. I would love it to go to an enthusiast who will keep it for years like an old couple :)

But lets not feel down, I still have it and I too went topless about two days ago and it was great!

Cheers

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Oh, you are one of "those guys" :D
    That probably means you have not found the perfect car. Otherwise you would not part with it.
    On my side its 5 years of ownership and not one thought of giving it away :D

Good luck anyway!