Performance upgrade suggestion la400k

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by HKS robe, Jul 22, 2020.

1. HKS robe

HKS robe Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    Hello everyone...
    Ok so i have a red copen robe 2014 and i want to increase its power... may be around 130hp. I have tried to upgrade and it has become better but not to the mark I want it to be. I haven't done dyno so i am not sure how much power is it making right now... 0 to 100 is around 15s... I have done following mods till now

1) HKS intake
    2) HKS Blow off valve
    3) HKS piping
    4) blitz throttle controller
    5) TDI tuning box
    6) kakimoto exhaust

Is there anything else I can do keeping in view the engine safety? IMG-20200722-WA0011.jpg IMG-20200722-WA0012.jpg IMG-20200722-WA0013.jpg IMG-20200722-WA0014.jpg

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Get a real ecu tune from a tuner that has a dyno. Those tuning boxes will only do so much.
    If you don't the stock ecu wont take advantage of all those parts you put on. It is important you get a bespoke tune for your exact car to ensure maximum safety of your engine and performance for your particular parts.
    Also you mention wanting 130HP. That's never going to happen on the stock turbo. Also that's about double the factory power output, so you really need a standalone ecu with a proper tune for your car.

HKS robe likes this.
  3. HKS robe

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    Thanks for the prompt reply brother. I have a concern regarding 0 to 100 as well... the company claims it to be 14.4 seconds for CVT la400k with stock settings but despite all these extra mods I am getting around 15s. Is there something wrong that i am doing?

P.s I have seen videos on YouTube as well, it is below 14s in every video...

4. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    It can be quite hard to get the claimed 0-100 time as they are often done in perfect conditions.
    It could also be because the engine computer is ignoring / compensating for the modifications as the car is setup to make 63hp so any mods will be compensated / ignored so the engine runs the same regardless.
    The TDI tuning box doesn't seem to be a copen specific part, so it is probably not helping anything.
    Do you have any engine warning lights? These could cause the car to perform worse as it believes there is a problem and it is trying to prevent possible damage.

adatara likes this.
  5. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Our low powered cars are affected by weight more than regular cars.
    If you're larger than your average Japanese driver it's going to knock time off you.
    Also get rid of your passenger, crap out of boot and half a tank of fuel.

Brian S and adatara like this.
  6. HKS robe

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    I TDI box I got is specific for la400k. I just plugged it in, do I have to do anything else as well? Like get it tuned or something?
    There are no engine lights... I keep my car pretty clean usually

7. HKS robe

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    I am thin guy brother. The only extra weight on the car is the spoiler... I usually keep the tank half filled.

Brian S likes this.
  8. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    I'm not sure, was there a manual with it?
    Another thing I thought about is fuel. I have seen that some of these "piggyback ecu" requires high octane fuel so maybe that's the issue?

Edit: I found it online and it seems there are different modes. Maybe yours isn't in the right mode?
    Screenshot_20200723-173400.png

9. HKS robe

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    Yes, it came with a manual... tuned for la400k. I have checked all the 7 modes... 7 is for high performance nd 1 for fuel economy.
    I drive on hi octane mostly...

I think this is the maximum power I am going to get from my copen ever... anyway thanks for the help brother

10. HKS robe

Car(s):
    Copen robe 2014
    If i am using a throttle controller with TDI running box, will they interfere/hamper the performance of each other?

11. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    To be honest this TDI box looks a bit like a scam, that might explain why it does not work :D

12. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Yes, I agree. Nice (ugly) lights but what do they do? It's not an electronic boost controller from what I can see. He really needs the D-Tune (?) ECU. But it also sounds like he's going to blow up the engine in his expensive quest for 0-100 times anyway. It's October now so I'd say his Copen has already been parted out.

If you want great acceleration from a standing start, I suggest don't buy a JDAL880K Copen. Buy an MX-5, that's a much better starting point & mods are easy & cheap. Copen gearing combined with a 659cc engine means that various Laws of Thermodynamics are likely to keep hitting you on the head.

Also, why buy a blow-off valve when you can just vent to atmo on the return air pipe to the turbo for 60cents? It's a tiny twin scroll unit so there's no noticeable lag but a great turbo noise whenever you lift..

I run a Turbosmart manual boost controller, set to 14.8PSI, a K&N cone air intake & a straight-through 2"exhaust (with hotdog for echo) and I vent to atmo for the noise. Power at the Dyno is +30%. But I can flog it to the redline and it still won't be in any way 'fast' away from the line.

Once you are underway, that's when the Copen suddenly comes to life acceleration-wise due to power to weight, but again, it's just never going to beat a Golf GTI or Rex. Handling is another matter. A Copen with good 175/50 tyres on stock suspension will corner as hard (or harder) as anything I've met on the road here around Canberra, especially as we can brake so late.

I think he has wasted a lot of money on entirely the wrong car & probably already torched his resale to boot.

13. Taha Abdullah

Taha Abdullah Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Robe LA400K
    Nice car brother, did it come from japan like this? Where did you find the parts in Pakistan?[/QUOTE]

Brian S likes this.