Paintwork.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by DaG, Oct 17, 2012.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi all.
    When I bought my Copen I noticed a thick area of paint on the front corner of the bonnet. It was about the size of a grain of rice and I thought it was just a small run in the cars paint. However it has increased in size and been joined by two other small blebs. They are I can now see rust bubbles which is pretty bad for a four year one month old car.
    Does anybody know if the cars paint work warranty is transferable to a second owner and how to try and claim now that Daihatsu have baled out of the UK?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    As long as all the service stamps are up to date including the bodywork checks at back of the service book you should be fine getting warranty work done.
    Not being the original owner doesn't matter.

Check out this link to find your nearest ex-Daihatsu dealer.
    http://daihatsu.co.uk/

3. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Isn't the bonnet made of aluminium ? but it is still a warranty issue, I agree with Adam that as long as the body work checks are up to date you should be OK.

There is a contact number on the Daihatsu website that my help, so try Daihatsu Hub on 0121 730 8225.

Cheers

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    It is aluminium, so it won't be proper rust, more like oxidization of aluminum.
    Just like on the alloy wheels.

5. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Had my bonnet replaced last year, no issues looks like new - just be mindful that the part my have to come from Japan.

Adam is right on the service book, the annual checks will need to have been completed and the book stamped and signed.

Hope this helps.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Thanks for the replies but it looks as though I've had it.
    The cars servicing is fully stamped up but there has been no bodywork inspections in it's four years.
    I didn't know the bonnet was made of aluminium, so it's oxidisation under the paint rather than good old rust. Looks like ill have to fork out to get it fixed.:(

7. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

what is causing the rust/ oxidation
    there seems to be a lot of them with it in the UK,
    Is it due just to the weather? ive never had mine garaged or undercover, and i dont have any rust anywhere on the body at all. i wash it with water only - no detergents - and only once a month if that

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    A stone chip or slight imperfection in the paint allows water through to the metal causing the corrosion. Plus during the winter our roads are salted to reduce the risk of black ice.

Water + Salt + Metal = Corrosion

Generally most UK cars are well protected by the manufacture with underseal & cavity wax. The Copen not so much.

DaG it's still worth trying a warranty claim. They'll probably take photos & send the to the main office for approval. Daihatsu know they have a rust issue on the Copen in the UK.

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ok Adam I'll give it a try. I'll play on the fact the car is only four years old I might get somewhere.
    I've looked very closely at the area where the blebs are I can't see any breaks in the paint that would allow moisture through. One of the reasons aluminium isn't used on mainstream cars is apart, from the cost, it is a pig to prime and paint. It looks like Daihatsu used aluminium when maybe they shouldn't have.

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Was your car serviced at a Daihatsu dealer?
    I have had an issue where the body work section was not stamped by the dealer. When I asked about this, they said it didnt matter as the inspection was recorded on the computer and sent direct to Daihatsu.

So it is worth contacting them.

Rex.

11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    It has had two services at a Daihatsu dealer in Holmfirth but the other two were independents. Not sure what to do really I suppose the next move is to contact Daihatsu.