1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ouch

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by elizabeth_powell, Aug 4, 2013.

1. elizabeth_powell

elizabeth_powell Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Morning all
    Little copen had a service that was fine and good, the bad news is it needs an 02 sensor and a new wheel bearing. Nearly £700 pounds good job the little copen is worth it but ouch.
    Liz:(

2. thewiltshirehardys

thewiltshirehardys Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    mrs. 2004 copen vivid
    mr.. 1959 morris minor
    Ouch indeed. I would certainly not spend that much dosh without getting a couple more prices for comparison.

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Wheel bearings are standard items and will not be anything special for the Copen so shouldn't be more than 100 quid fitted. That means the sensor s ridiculously priced or more likely the garage is taking the urine. Get more prices and try and find out how much the parts cost for you to buy. You could always buy the bits and just pay labr to have them fitted.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Just had a quick look on euro parts. For my Copen the bearing is £66 and the lambda sensor £59.
    The bearing seems pricey for a small car but Euro parts aren't usually the cheapest, my local car accessory shop beats them by quite a bit nearly every time.

Edit: Loads of bearings on eBay for 25 pounds upwards and lambda sensors from around £40 quid but that was just a 30 second look.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    how many miles has the car, therefore sensor done? if a fair few, it could be even worth getting a second hand one of ebay that has less miles on it as they could stil give you many 10,000s of miles use. Work out an expected life verses new price?
    Fitting the sensor is quite simple so do that yourself. One end is just an electrical connection (which I forgot to reconnect once and got a MIL light! doh). The other is a socket or spanner, might be a bit tight but could be worth a go.

Alternatively remove it and give it a wash it might be fouled up like carbon deposits on it
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/Cleaning-oxygen-sensor/10000000008063698/g.html

6. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
  7. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Thanks guys
    Trouble is I do not know anything about cars apart from how to drive them.
    Trustafox I just read that link thanks however I think it is the sensor that is under the bonnet and not near the exhaust can I do the same with that one do you think. Also did not realise that wheel bearings are just standard things and not specific for the copen so thanks for your help
    :)

8. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    No maybe I am wrong and they are all on the exhaust quite confused think I will phone around some other garages for more quotes. Thanks all

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Wheel bearings are standard sizes and types but there are a lot of different sizes and types You will still need the correct size for a particular car.
    One thing is certain though replacing the sensor and a wheel bearing should be nowhere near £700.

10. Threadbare

Threadbare Copenworld Newbie

I recently replaced the sensors on my 53 plate. The sensors were about £120 for the pair. Having tried and failed to remove the sensors myself and having read horror stories about people using too much force and too little skill I took the car to a trusted mechanic. He was able to release the front sensor but the rear one stripped its threads on the way out and the exhaust had to be re-tapped. This is not something I am equipped or skilled enough to attempt myself.

It ended up costing £50 to have the sensors removed, but once done refitting was a simple enough job.

Both sensors are fitted to the exhaust, one sits before the catalytic converter, the other after it. On the 650 they are both fairly easy to access.

Part numbers for the 650:

Rear: Daihatsu 89465-97408 blueprint ADD67005

Front Daihatsu 89465-97221 blueprint ADC47005 denso DOX0113*

*The denso part is universal and comes without a plug. You need to take the plug off the old sensor and attach it to the new one.

The only reason I replaced my sensors was due to some odd readings from my obd (I use the torque app and an ebay obd scanner). Since replacement my mpg has improved, although not dramatically :).

Did the garage say why you need a new sensor? Is there a warning light on the dash?

11. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Hi Threadbare
    Yes there is a MIL warning light so garage put it on the machine and told me it is the o2 sensor. I have booked in to a different garage to do the wheel bearing saving quite a lot of money and they are going to check the sensor for me as I think everybody is correct and the original quote was too expensive. Will take the part numbers with me on Wednesday when they do the wheel bearing.

Thanks a lot

Liz:)