1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open boot when battery is flat ?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by tyke, May 24, 2017.

1. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen imported to Thailand from Japan
    My Copen is a 2004 model imported to Thailand direct from Japan in 2004. It has an aftermarket ABTZ remote door locker and alarm which I have all the documents for including the code which enabled me to get a replacement fob when the garage lost mine last year. In the ABTZ manual it does say one option when installing is to long press the alarm off/door open and the boot will open as discussed on other threads. However, they cannot have wired that option in as I have tried it with 2 different fobs and it doesn't work. Therefore I have to press the little button in the centre console.

I've not used the car for a few weeks and when I tried to unlock it the battery was so flat the remote would not even work so I had to unlock the door with the key. I keep a Black & Decker power bank jump start thingy in the boot so I went to press the boot release button but even that would not work as I guess that takes battery power to unlock it also.

So here's my dilemma, I've got a flat battery and the solution is locked in the boot, is there another way to open the boot ?

As I was at home I did resolve it by connecting my battery charger and giving the battery a boost but what if I was in a remote place ?

RouX Renard likes this.
  2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    There is a way but you'll need the tools that are also in the boot !

I came back from holiday to a similar dilemma but luckily kept my charger etc in the garage so eventually recovered the battery. I've now bought a lithium ion power pack (similar to a phone booster pack but capable of high discharge for short bursts) for emergency starting that is small enough to keep in the glove box. Easy enough to find on Amazon or eBay. Funnily enough though, I'd prefer an old style lead acid starter pack as you can also use them to gently increase the voltage on the battery until it gets to a point for a smart charger to take over.

3. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    There's a manual boot release in the centre console, under a panel that you can prise up with a screwdriver or other flat tool, or a key probably if you're desperate!

4. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thanks VP, I opened the panel and sure enough there is a little wire with a strap on the end. I pulled the strap and I can hear a click in the boot area but it only half opens it and doesn't release the catch fully or do I then need to press the button also? (now my battery is charged I can't test it)

5. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Oops, I forgot there's also 2 blue pins you need to pull, under the back shelf that's behind the roll bars.

6. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Mmmm, couldn't locate them, does the shelf lift up to access those ?

7. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Yes, there's 2 plastic tabs you pull up to get the shelf up, if you've got the owner's manual it should be Section 10 Page 20, you can download the 1.3 version from on here which should also have it, not sure it'll be the same exact page though. No working scanner atm but I took a pic of mine.

DSC_0011.JPG

8. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Never thought about looking in the manual :blush: . Dark outside now and busy tomorrow so I will try on the weekend so I know for future reference.

Thanks. :clap:

9. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    I lifted the clips just to check it works but never bothered pulling the cables. Now when I go over any bumps the plastic clips pop out!